2016/10/31 08:51:03
Walleye jigs
Has anyone seen ringnecks roosting in trees like turkeys do? I had 5 fly down out of a tree in my backyard this morning.
2016/10/31 09:49:59
DarDys
They prefer to roost off the ground for protection from predators.
2016/10/31 10:24:09
Walleye jigs
This is just the first time I saw it with my own eyes. I have ringnecks in my yard year round but never in my trees.
2016/10/31 11:51:05
BeenThereDoneThat.
That's pretty cool Jigs. Can't say I've ever seen that and this time of year I spend a lot of time sitting in trees.

As for flying back down, well that ain't even, a pretty sight. 🎃

Happy Holloween.
2016/10/31 20:02:59
mr.crappie
Walleye Jigs, Back in the day or nite I guess,it was pretty common to see them roosting in trees,but this was when there was natural reproduction. I would guess that now with most of the ringnecks being farm raised under screening that they are losing the roosting instinct. Undoubtedly roosting would be safer for them.  sam
2016/10/31 21:55:25
pheasant tail 2
We had 13 roosters roost on my kids swing set one evening. All lined up across the top rail. They would also often roost in the small spruce trees on the hill out back.

PT2 
2016/11/01 04:51:31
treesparrow
  I grew up east of Pittsburgh and had lots of willy wild Pheasants around. They roosted in trees. I used to hunt with a Game Warden who insisted that they roosted on the ground, and that only Sitchuan ?sp Pheasants roosted in trees. In my youth I spent many a day chasing them with a bow. I once lay on my back with a friend in golden rod beneath a large apple tree that I knew they were roosting in. We got Pheasant fever as a string of them came up to the tree and flew up above us into the tree. We missed them after the hour wait, and to this day can remember the excitement. 
2016/11/01 06:37:49
DarDys
During the beagle days of my youth, we would hunt choppings for rabbits. If we got there early enough, we would use a mouth turkey call to get the pheasants to call back from their roost and would head in that direction so the hounds could flush them once the flew down.
2016/11/01 06:57:00
Walleye jigs
All the pheasants around here are raised by the sportsman club in co- op with the G.C and raised in a pen so that might be why I've never seen them in trees. Hunting them was a complete joke cause you had to practically kick them to get them to fly, closes thing to sport was a bow, then you could shoot a the same bird 2 or 3 times or till you got it. They tried raising quail once and that was worse.
2016/11/01 07:33:56
DarDys
That has changed quite a bit for most stocked pheasants which are now raised in flight pens with auto feeders and water so they never have human contact. Don't know about sportsmen club raised.

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account