• Fly Tying
  • Solarez UV Curing Resin Review (p.2)
2021/02/23 11:48:16
solitario lupo
I would just get clear and then you can add color to it. You can add color to the materials or put a thin layer on then color that and then put another thin layer on so it becomes waterproof.
2021/02/23 19:17:21
Porktown
It dries clear unlike some 2 part epoxies that will yellow. 

I bought a 3 pack of thick, thin and the soft. I went through them pretty quickly, so I bought a quart of the stuff meant for surf boards. The price was a fraction per ounce and have gotten my money’s worth. It seems to be the same as the thin. I still have about half and bought maybe 5 years ago and seems to work just fine still. I use it on a bunch of things. Hard baits that I have carved, lead casting spoons and flies for fishing. Other stuff around the house too. I just used some on a chip in my windshield. I doubt it has the holding strength of 2 ton, but have never tried to use it for bonding. I would definitely get an application bottle with a metal fine tip, craft stores sell. I put in a ziplock when done and seems to stay fine. That fine tip will make putting on surf candies much easier. Do in layers, put a bit on, hit with UV, then put a bit more on. If not, it will run and be a bit awkward, but still catches fish! If doing hard baits, I put some in a small empty tomato paste metal jar then dip. I also warm it first in some hot water to thin prior. You can paint on too, but can get brush strokes that won’t lay flat at times and drive you nuts. For flies, you don’t need to thin. I bought some UV light bulbs that I use in an old lamp when doing more than fly trying with those I just use a UV flashlight.

I have some left over from dipping that I put in a HDPE bottle with lid and has been usable since. Over 2 years. I had read to not put back in the main can to not mess it all up.

Don’t worry too much about exposing to light. When I first used, I was trying to stay as low light as possible and showed in some of the flies. After that, I said heck with it and did in regular light (garage fluorescent). I wouldn’t use outside on a sunny day. I put things outside in the sun when done to fully cure and out gas. I do all of my epoxy coating in my garage, it is a relatively strong smell. Not nearly as bad as fiberglass resin, but I avoid using for my family to suck in fumes. If doing a good bit a respirator is advised and I always wear gloves. I see most guys online using for flies don’t seem to use safety equipment.

Like Lupo said, putting a layer down, hitting with a colored sharpie, then another layer puts some cool effects. I made some shrimp flies doing that and look cool. I haven’t caught anything on them.

It is some good stuff all around though.

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account