2015/12/29 20:21:09
hot tuna
Well, I have decided to revisit this thread for all things related to Ice fishing in New York.. Much have changed here and I hope to share related topics towards ice ,gear and tactics.. Feel free to share and indulge in your adventures.. Maybe even Rob S will join in..lol
That said:
I'm so stoked for this belated ice season,, Played with my gear and tuning things up this past weekend.. Ordered more stuff that I really don't need but will be grateful to have..
We all may or not know the new 7 device rule this year.. It means 7 tip-ups or any hand lines in combination.. Cant imagine I will run 7 traps or 7 sticks but depending on the water, maybe 6 traps and 1 jigging rod.. Other waters such as lakers, I see 3-5 traps and 1 rod in hand ..
More gear:
Decided I'm sick of tossing fragile jig rods into a soft case only to crush or break the tip's off.. Got me a new frabill hard case.. New to me so anyone with one please give likes, dislikes.
The fish gripper: Humm.. Horror stories about boa-fish grippers and handling.. For open water, it may be true.. My thoughts is to be able to grip a sharp toothy fish by the mouth and pull it outta a hole.. I find it difficult to get any fish of weight out of a hole , especially thick ice , any real delicate way.. So why not try and "lip" em'and straight pull ? Thoughts welcomed.. Also it will be a dual purpose tool.. When I intend to keep a large fish , soft or hardwater,  it has a scale.. Seems cool to me..
Lastly:
The baitcasting rod/rig..
Going to try this out this season.. Jigging deep water for lake trout it only seems logical .. Abu Garcia reel and 36" casting rod with braid .. Direct contact to jig & fish...

My first planned adventure is 1/29... we surly should have ice somewhere and no matter I have an adventure planned.. Hope to share pic's and stories.. If things lock up sooner, I will be there..
Enjoy the 2016 season and stop in to share the love of hardwater through your eyes :
Peace & Tuna

2015/12/31 13:28:12
Lucky13
I'm starting to worry that we'll get enough ice to prevent shore fishing,. but not enough for walking on!
2015/12/31 19:24:19
hot tuna
True,
That makes the honey do list with no excuses..
Hope is sundays low of 5 deg and highs maybe 30 for a week will set up some pond water
Ice Gear review:
 The frabill rod case is adequate .. Much better then my past state but I see things that lacks in quality..
http://www.fishusa.com/product/Frabill-Rod-Safe

Fish gripper/scale:
seems pretty awesome.. 5 year old Grandson loves it !!! I think it will serve purpose well :
http://www.fishusa.com/product/Rapala-Digital-Fish-Gripper

Casting /jig rod..
Another awesome product.. Abu Garcia 5500 reel and braid line.. Gonna do some damage on fish in deep water..
I have the spin rod/set up also .. Good deal on ice.. screw down rod seats are the best..
http://www.fishusa.com/product/Berkley-Lightning-Rod-Ice-Rods

2016/01/25 18:10:19
hot tuna
Well , 'I been out on the Ice for a few weeks now.. Trying to make the best of what little time and space available.. Honestly, my kids been fishing more then me..
They have been on Champlain and some small pike puddles near the VT border but I hit the holy grail yesterday with monster gills :)
 Heading to laker land this weekend, catch a great show Friday night in Schroon Lake then fish through the weekend up there .. Yea buddy !!

Anyhow, those interested, here are just a few shots from the time afield:
First trip into snow country.. All rat pike on tip-ups:

My boy getting it done near VT:

MY great adventure to clear black ice yesterday.. Awesome to see schools of fish swim below my feet:

And there were plenty of PHAT Gills to fill my bucket :) YUMMY !!!

2016/01/25 21:31:05
Fisherlady2
That ice looks awesome! All we ever get locally is snow covered or cloudy white, I don't think I've ever seen it so clear. Would be almost spooky to stand out over that! and those gills would make a great fish fry...
2016/01/26 03:10:16
BeenThereDoneThat.
I should like to; if I may, quote Fisherlady2, unquote.  That certainly is some "fall on your butt without cleats" type ice

I think the Bluegill might like something to say about the fish fry(lol)

Congratulations to your boy on the Pike through the ice HT.

Oh........ the geese in the one picture, might they be flying North?
2016/01/26 17:27:05
hot tuna
thanks folks ..
With the boys being 30 on Thursday I'm going to catch some ice with both of them.. 30 years ago on the 28th, I drove the wife to hospital in a 1972 Dodge Charger @ 2am in a snow storm (we found out it was twins on New years eve..  I Sat there and watched the tragedy of Challenger around 11 am..  Our Twin boys born at 5:00 pm :)

Gils tomorrow with my son Randy and lakers Sat with Rob.. Yea buddy,
Feeling a little skeptic about that black clear ice tomorrow though.. Most of the puddles here had standing water today and some grey, guessing from light rain.. This 40+ deg stuff has to STOP !! lol
We will tread lightly and spud often..
As ALWAYS use safety and caution.. 
Gear packed (light)
1.spud bar
2.throw rope
3.Ice picks
4.flotation throw
5.common sense
If that lake proves un worthy , there is another local (dead sea) that has a solid base..

Hope to be sharing great adventures of Phat gills & slimy Lakers

2016/01/27 19:05:21
hot tuna
I was up pacing the floor last night watching the temps (45 deg) until about 2am.. Fearing the worst we headed out this morning at 7:30 am.. My heart sank as we passed by waters that were frozen but now open.. Finally we arrived at our lake.. It was ice but not the clear black ice as sunday..  Out I went with spud bar .. YES !!!!
Solid and it held , actually gained , to 6" of nice fishy ICE ...

The Weather was GREAT, the time spent pre birthday was priceless and yes the fishing was good..
Only a few shots to upload but ,,,,  oooo it's so goooood..

BTDT >>
those geese have found a happy spot in open water behind us... Dang birds !!!
2016/01/27 19:27:00
Fisherlady2
Great haul there! And glad you had a good time with the boy, trips like those are hard to come by and the memories are priceless!
2016/01/27 20:00:42
hot tuna
Thanks fisherlady .
It was and well worth being " sick " of the JOB today
We got a nice batch of beer ( Busch ) battered fish fry for dinner , and two :)
Next up , lake trout with the other boy :))))
You only live once

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account