2015/11/27 22:31:36
BeenThereDoneThat.
Took the trusty 30/30 bolt action to the range today just to make sure it was gonna hit what I was aiming at.  I am very excited and happy, as I now have, four targets in the freezer.

Started the session with a laser boresighter out to 25 yd.s followed by a live round on the paper at 50 yd.s.  A few clicks down, a few clicks to the left and, 1" high at 12:00, 100 yds out.  One more round out to 180 yd.s  perforated the paper at 6:30 2" low.

Federal 30-30 Winchester 150 grain soft nose was the ammo of the day, shooting from a bench rest with the rifle resting on a shooting block.  

The rifle is a model 64 Foremost equipped with a 4X Foremost scope mounted on Weaver side mount base and rings.

Yardage is actual, having been measured with a 300' tape however, the elevation of the closer targets is lower than the target at 180 yards.
2015/11/28 04:58:19
Big Tuna
You are ready my friend. Shoot straight and don't get " Buck Fever" I've never had it but do at times get a little rattled after the shot. Killed my Pa 8 pts this year and was a basket case after the shot,killed my Ohio giant 12 pt and never even had and elevated heartbeat. It's all about watching a animal for me the longer I watch it  the more rattled, the Ohio buck was seen and shot in 30 second,and dead in anotherther 5 seconds. No time for getting rattled. Good luck to all, be safe and be smart getting your buck out of the woods. I've got nothing to do till doe Saturday,might try the docks at Pymy that Marco been pumping me up about. Wouldn't mind a perch dinner with a slab or two thrown in.
2015/11/28 09:27:54
BeenThereDoneThat.
Thanks BT and 10-4 on the don't get rattled, I've BTDT a few.....  ummmmm..  "quite" a few times over the years.  I try and not get overly excited about such events. Makes it difficult falling asleep the night before first day aaaand sometimes......... second day too!

Go get some of them crappie and perch, Shenango producing from the shorelines I hear, nothing like "redneck surf & turf" for dinner, heck even breakfast!

A safe and successful hunt to all.

2015/11/28 10:55:21
Walleye jigs
Good luck to ALL!! Be smart and be SAFE!! Remember you CAN'T call that bullet back!!
2015/11/28 11:34:34
r3g3
Have ya read bout the 10 year old kid who dropped two with one shot- not kidding.
His first hunt and had missed a first shot-made up for it with the double on #2.
Good luck.
2015/11/30 19:10:12
BeenThereDoneThat.
Stupid Antler Restrictions................
2015/11/30 20:44:59
eyesandgillz
Only hunted until 10 today with my 7 yr old son for his first time doing mentored. Did decent for his first time out ever even though we didn't see a deer. Had to get back since we were up north and my daughter broke her wrist and elbow yesterday roller skating. They wouldn't cast it at warren general so the wife was calling around for ortho apps today while I had the boy out. Couldn't get one until 8 am tomorrow. Boy was she upset last night when she couldn't go out for her first time for mentored with my cousin due to her arm. She barely cried after breaking it but bawled for a good while after she found out she wasn't going out hunting with only a splint and sling on. Broke my heart...always Saturday....and she was shooting really well with the 243 too.

Give it a go in cambria county on Saturday, maybe.
2015/11/30 20:59:49
BeenThereDoneThat.
Geez Eyes that's terrible but, glad to hear she is doing OK except for, the missing out on hunting.

Good luck and well wishes to your daughter.  
2015/12/01 11:46:35
mopars0
Sorry to hear that also eyes just glad she'll be ok.... BTDT yeah antler restrictions kinda sucks but it does slow down the shoot and hope somewhat.
10 1/2 hrs in my shanty / tree house saw 5 doe & 1 Hunter and this was by 10:30 after that nothing rest of the day....I did see one old big deer took for a doe but it was hot on a young doe going though the thicket about 40 yds from me scoped it no horns for sure .... Just wondering if it was old buck that has lost it's horns already, just a thought.... not sure. Figured with the rain today said screw it try again tomorrow.
2015/12/01 13:25:59
Sorry to hear about that eyes.  Hope she mends quickly and you get your kids on some deer.  Sure is fun and a whole different experience taking kids out.  

BTDT, sounds from various posts on here like you have a nice piece of property.  Never been a fan of AR myself - don't hate it, but not a trophy hunter either so I'd be happy without it too.  Anyway, before all of this started with AR and herd reduction however-many-years ago, did you have some good deer hunting on your place, or has it always been tough?  

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account