2015/09/29 22:05:44
BIG WAGS
Got out for the first time this morning. Had 2 mature does and 2 fawns sneak in at 7:10. Lead doe spotted me in my ladder within seconds.
After 5 minutes of stare down they bolted off. Not 10 minutes go by and a solo body goes sneaking along. I see rack....SWEET
Turns out to be a nice 8 point. He never sees me. He keeps looking for the girls. Moves along at a steady walk. He gives me a 25 yard broadside shot.
First day out....Did not like the shot, on the move. 
Holdin out for his daddy...

2015/09/29 22:23:39
BeenThereDoneThat.
BTDT gettin caught sitting in the "high chair", hate when that happens, as for the hold out, not this year.  I need some venison to go along with the walleye I ain't caught yet, for some "redneck surf and turf".

Do want to wish ya luck Wags, keep the postings comin.
2015/09/30 06:47:06
outasync
First day in ohio I had a small 5 or 7, if u count 1 inch points at 6 yards. Since then 0 deer in 5 hunts. Did have a giant flock of turkeys come by me twice and have seen 5 raccoons now. The full moon always drives the deer nocturnal where I hunt but hopefully the rain the past 2 days will have them moving this morning!
2015/10/04 01:30:06
Big Tuna
I don't know that the moon phase has all that to do with hunting. I'm a firm believer right place right time,luck,well placed stand, scouting and if a stand works once chances are it will work again. My son shot a beautiful high rack 9 pts. on Sunday in Ohio after passing an 8pts a few minutes earlier and seeing 3 does. 5 deer in  a 2.5 hour sit,lucky don't think so that's his 4th second day Sunday Ohio buck and 9 th out of the same tree. 

2015/10/04 08:35:23
r3g3
Been tree sitting since the 20th or so here in CT.
Many sightings of Deer too far walking the woods off the trails eating a VERY abundant mast crop.
Every time the wind blows a bit nuts can be heard dropping like a hail storm.
Great mast years consistently produce a drop in harvest of Deer here.
2015/10/09 21:37:49
r3g3
Welll- my nice new spot got busted-relative of the owner has a crew clearing a field and woods right in the middle- Brought in a camper and are living there full time throughout the months long job.
2015/10/12 08:18:03
BeenThereDoneThat.
That just ain't right..............  you tell them people I said, get the he#* out of there!  Stupid relatives.

Seriously, that does suck but, if there were deer in that area they moved somewhere.  Any chance of you relocating to maybe even a better spot now?

I had a similar situation like that last year right in my back yard.  First it was the neighbor cutting trees less than 200 yds to my north then it was Amish kids setting up a trap line along the neighbors fence line.  Needless to say, two kids running around the area before sun rise and after sunset kept that area pretty much free of deer.

My biggest problem last year was passing  early season shots before the ruckus started.  My biggest early season problem this year is sitting in front of this computer instead being in my high chair.  Stupid computer! 

Well.... anyway good luck, hope ya find a better place and harvest (trying to be politically proper) a trophy with a stick.
2015/10/12 16:18:54
eyesandgillz
Only doe here on the 3 evenings I managed to make it out since the early opener.  Not much hunting going on here this year with all the kids activities this fall and a possibly work trip to China towards the end of the month.
2015/10/12 19:11:02
r3g3
Problem here in Ct is that you MUST have a signed state form from the landowner to hunt any Pvt property-they are HARD to get and often require a visit to City Clerks to investigate records and find documentation on who the actual registered owners of woodlands actually are.
IF, they are wiling to give a stranger hunting permission is another story.
Then there is the issue of size,  most often you have only 15 or 20 acres.
Not uncommon to have one spot for a stand that is far enough from buildings and roads and has some trails or sign.
Plenty of Deer but often hard to get at.
2015/10/12 20:55:49
Ironhed
Just mowin does here.

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account