2015/11/14 18:36:48
CAPTAIN HOOK
That's usually a good blind area must have been an off day . I haven't hunted waterfowl in years but I was an avid waterfowl hunter for many years. Mostly hunted ducks down in Hartstown swamp and the duck areas ( J, K, L ) up at Pymatuning. Stood in line many a cold dark morning at the building .Have shot lots of ducks and some geese in those areas. Hunted the Goose blinds 4 or 5x's and we always got lucky and limited out. Back then they would allow you to move into another blind if it was empty . Got lots of decoys , calls , and my Browning 3 " Auto 5. Loved hunting late season ducks down in Adamsville for years. Mostly Woodies, and Mallards and some Teals , and Widgeons.  First day of Duck Season use to be something to witness in those days might still be crazy. I can imagine what a gun war would sound like after those experiences. One thing about wing shooting, you learn the range of a shotgun, and learn to be humbled by those fast flying feathered jets !
2015/11/16 17:00:26
Eman89so
Im looking for a spot to go tomorrow.. Might head to Pymatuning myself!
2015/11/17 22:33:27
woodnickle
Go for a no show...get there around 6:30....or as CH said the duck area is fun too. Take lots of shells....lol 3 shots are the norm there unless you are a heck of a shooter....;-) Murders row was always crazy....sky busters abound
2015/11/19 12:04:30
CAPTAIN HOOK
Mikastorm ,you mean those guys are still busting the clouds on Murders Row ? Wow ....time hasn't changed much there. We hit the duck areas back in the day but we also had a canoe to help. Never cared to shoot out of them or flat bottoms so we always paddled to shallow water and got out to shoot. Had some fantastic days in area "J ". I believe there are only two duck areas now not three.
2015/11/23 18:38:14
" I can imagine what a gun war would sound like after those experiences. One thing about wing shooting, you learn the range of a shotgun, and learn to be humbled by those fast flying feathered jets !"

cap'n, what memories this brings back.  i've never heard such noise as at the opener and wondered if this is what my dad may have heard during ww2.   i remember one thanksgiving morning decades ago where i blasted through three boxes of shells in a howling wind that had the ducks busting through my dekes all morning.  frustrating and exhilarating at the same time.  man, i miss it.

2015/11/24 01:51:14
Big Tuna
Yea Captain, J area was hot, I'd hit it hard. Many limit of fat mallards, and woodies, and a few pintails and teal thrown in. Do you remember the early only teal season? Those little suckers can haul butt. One day a male lab befriended me all morning,he retrieved my limit of teal,great dog,he rode out in my John boat at noon only to be reunited with REAL.owner. He was really happy to get his dog back.
2015/11/28 09:25:21
woodnickle
Will be hitting the migrators and any residents still around after I slay my 30 pointer....lol This morning they were banging away on the lake. Pintails were flying Wednesday while I was fishing for stripers.
2015/11/28 17:36:11
Eman89so
Are you seeing some migration Mika?
2015/11/29 00:10:44
CAPTAIN HOOK
BT ,Yea I remember the early only Teal seasons. I never chased Teals to much. I do remember Black Ducks were two only as were Woodies. Mallards were four any mix, drakes or hens. Not sure what limits are now days. Teals always reminded me of butterflies when they flew low with that fluttery motion. I have to say Woodies coming over with wings set and tilting and dropping were like super sonic jets. Hardest shot ever ! You had to allow lead, and drop, and swing, all at the same time . I'd say those were about a 99% missed shots . I can honestly say 6 ft. leads on Woodies is not a guarantee but will put you fairly close for hits.......sometimes !  LOL 

These are Ducks that I shot and mounted myself years ago. They still look good for a self taught taxidermist.....no internet in those days just a 20.00 book with only drawings. One needs a lot of patience and time for this hobby.....something I use to have !   LOL

Greenheads

Black Duck (below)

I couldn't afford to pay to get them done back in the day so I did my own small game mounts. All the tagged Ducks I shot over the years were all local tags mostly Pymatuning tags .

I don't know how Grouse hunting is anymore but I took these up near Shenango Dam. Use to go up to Hendersonville, and Owls Nest and hunt and shoot grouse . Was always good hunting in those spots.
2015/12/23 16:29:44
Eman89so
got a blind on tuesday

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account