2013/10/10 12:15:42
KJH807
So...
"accepting" the brokered lease for exclusive fishing rights is somehow more noble than directly leasing the property?

BULLSHlT

If anything it is worse
it shows the acceptance of a system where leases to private access will be brokered/auctioned off to the highest bidder.  
2013/10/10 12:17:57
D-nymph
KJH807
So...
"accepting" the brokered lease for exclusive fishing rights is somehow more noble than directly leasing the property?

BULLSHlT

If anything it is worse
it shows the acceptance of a system where leases to private access will be brokered/auctioned off to the highest bidder.  

Exactly. 

And if they don't do it their competition will, in their logic.  She asks "what would you do?".  I would turn it down & tell whoever brought the idea to me to get out of my store.
2013/10/10 12:40:00
World Famous
Ahhh, capitalism....WF..its the name of the game....BTW, they can kiss my old butt at the shop also 
2013/10/10 14:05:16
MightyMidge
Steve here from Ultimate Angler.  Just found out about the posting yesterday night, and I am sickened by it.  It is a tremendous loss to the fishery.  We are mentioned in the post concerning the lease, and I just wanted to comment and say that this is the first we have heard of it.  If offered a pay to play option, we would not accept.  We do fish on water that is private, but we are not there to play policeman, and have never kicked anyone off of the areas that we fish.  We are also there at the invitation of the land owner, not as a part of a lease agreement.  
As a shop owner, I am concerned with the lack of public water as it is.  Sure, guiding is a big part of our business, but it is nothing when compared to the local and visiting anglers that come in to the shop.  With less and less open water to fish, less fish making it into the upper stretches of Walnut, and other local problems, we will do less business overall.  The greatest thing that could happen to us as a shop would be to see all the water open for public fishing.  
I am also concerned that at some point, the fish and boat will stop stocking fish.  At what point will they say too much water is posted, and it is no longer worthwhile.  We all know what this fishery means to the local economy, especially shops.  Without this fishery, many of us will be gone very quickly.  I only know what I have heard from forums and people coming in the shop, so I am sure I don't have all the facts yet, but know that I am concerned as anyone about this, and hope that there can be some resolution to this problem at some point soon.  
Thanks, tight lines, and happy fishing
-Steve B
2013/10/10 14:28:42
ladyoflakeerie
Really.......this is very disturbing to me on so many levels....I'm sure some of you on this very forum are guides...and I am sure that before you take your "clients" out for a day on the creeks you know exactly which part of the creek has been "leased" if you will, from the PFBC through their public access fishing program.....ok....with that said, have you ever considered that the clients that you are guiding, which pay you for your service (by the way some may interpret this as profiting from the fish placed in our streams that are paid for by the licenses that WE purchase and the trout salmon/lake erie permit)...that if you decide to take this client to privately owned land, have you ever once considered contacting the owner of the land to ask for permission to fish there...with your client who is paying you for your time and know how???? Maybe you instead sent the landowner a thank you note or a fruit basket...well did you???? What you are all failing to recognize with your grandiose ideas of the wrongs that have been bestowed upon you is this....."its a free country, where citizens are able to own and manage their land any way they see fit"...even if it rubs you the wrong way....and no they shouldn't have to move somewhere else to live just because they are tired of people profiting from the use of their land with no consideration to them at all?? Most of us in the area that you are referring to on Elk Creek were born and raised there...we have raised our own kids there....we have taught them to appreciate the true beauty of the land and water and to never take it for granted....there are many reasons why one would love to live and enjoy this property.....so if the land owner wants to post this property for any reason....even if the landowner wants to have a little extra money to off set the cost of the property taxes so what.......Make it right people....quit crucifying the owner...
2013/10/10 14:30:52
Maddsmomma
Any "real" land owners out here? Not a lot or even an acre anyone who actually owns land? I'd like to see how many LAND OWNERS want random people trudging all over the land they pay for and care for?

Those of you who don't own land but rather a lot, would you be okay if someone came and picked your pretty little flowers???? Stepped on your lawn??? Threw trash in your yard??
2013/10/10 14:44:24
Maddsmomma
Anyone know who this land owner is? If these are amazing fishing spots I'd like to go offer him $300 bucks to fish on HIS land, I'll also take a trash bag and clean up my mess and the messes from everyone else because I appreciate someone allowing me to use something that's theirs. Something that this man/family has worked hard for his whole life!

For all the little kids out there would you be okay if I came into your house and took your video game system because it's the best in town?
2013/10/10 14:47:47
D-nymph
ladyoflakeerie
Really.......this is very disturbing to me on so many levels....I'm sure some of you on this very forum are guides...and I am sure that before you take your "clients" out for a day on the creeks you know exactly which part of the creek has been "leased" if you will, from the PFBC through their public access fishing program.....ok....with that said, have you ever considered that the clients that you are guiding, which pay you for your service (by the way some may interpret this as profiting from the fish placed in our streams that are paid for by the licenses that WE purchase and the trout salmon/lake erie permit)...that if you decide to take this client to privately owned land, have you ever once considered contacting the owner of the land to ask for permission to fish there...with your client who is paying you for your time and know how???? Maybe you instead sent the landowner a thank you note or a fruit basket...well did you???? What you are all failing to recognize with your grandiose ideas of the wrongs that have been bestowed upon you is this....."its a free country, where citizens are able to own and manage their land any way they see fit"...even if it rubs you the wrong way....and no they shouldn't have to move somewhere else to live just because they are tired of people profiting from the use of their land with no consideration to them at all?? Most of us in the area that you are referring to on Elk Creek were born and raised there...we have raised our own kids there....we have taught them to appreciate the true beauty of the land and water and to never take it for granted....there are many reasons why one would love to live and enjoy this property.....so if the land owner wants to post this property for any reason....even if the landowner wants to have a little extra money to off set the cost of the property taxes so what.......Make it right people....quit crucifying the owner...

Only one person here crucified a landowner, and was told they were being ridiculous by several.

Everyone also is free to patronize whichever fishing tackle shops they see fit.  And if one is doing something they don't like, they are free to spend their money elsewhere.
2013/10/10 15:06:35
Maddsmomma
D-nymph
ladyoflakeerie

Only one person here crucified a landowner, and was told they were being ridiculous by several.

Everyone also is free to patronize whichever fishing tackle shops they see fit.  And if one is doing something they don't like, they are free to spend their money elsewhere.

So this tackle shop or any shop for that matter was wrong to attempt to satisfy a land owner who has "amazing fishing holes" and fishermen by attempting a lease agreement? Whether it was from the landowner himself or a broker????

I'm sorry I'm confused? Id think that everyone would be happy to know they could go into a shop and pay a reasonable fee to fish in the best holes around... It would be like Elk hunting out west! You pay a guide to get you to the best places... They pay land owners for their land!
2013/10/10 15:10:44
woodnickle
Also would said land owner have prime steel head fishing if it were not for many buying Erie and trout stamps to pay for such a great fishery? If streams are locked out for the average Joe, they stop coming and thus no stocking needed. 

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account