2013/10/10 09:54:06
SteelSlayer77
D-nymph
No.
How would you like it if I or the state told you what to do with YOUR property?  Earlier, essentially what you said, is the steelhead are valuable to the public, and if the private landowners don't like it, they should sell their properties & move their families somewhere else.  Think about it.  I hope you are not older than 16.

Well it's essentially already being done with the navigability rule on other trout streams, do you not agree with that current law either?

I own a home and close to 10 acres of property not all that far from Erie.  If I was lucky enough to have a resource like Steelhead put into my back yard for free, I would have no problem with that.  I'd sell it in a heart beat to the right person willing to pay a premium for the land, and buy a similar property in the same general area where it was more secluded.
2013/10/10 09:59:05
From Trout Run B&T website:

WOW  What a day!  I got my first piece of hate mail.  Thank you to Don S.  for checking your facts.

WE DID NOT LEASE THE PROPERTY ON ELK CREEK!!!! 
 For everyones' information,  the property was going to be posted by the landowner and then was leased by another local......Not us!! I can't afford it!!! We were approached by the gentlemen who leased the property, and asked if we would like the rights to guide on it.  If we refused, he was headed for the Ultimate Angler in Erie.  We accepted his offer............what would you do?  I don't necessarily agree with the entire thing either, but it was a business decision.  Again, we did not lease or post the property!
These are the facts!! If any of you post to the Fish Erie site, you have my permission to copy and paste this post.  There seems to be a great many rumors and outright lies going around.  Give us a call if you'd like. 
Thanks,
Karen

Funny, I check their website from time to time to see their fishing reports and no mention anywhere on their site of guide services that they offer.  Have also been in the shop a few times last year and never saw anything about guide services.  Wonder if their "guides" are really legit with all the credentials, or just a few friends looking to make a quick buck. 
2013/10/10 10:20:39
D-nymph
I certainly hope their "guides" are licensed & insured! 

"Hate mail"! haha.  I sent that e-mail to them.  Here is the body of the "hate mail":

Good job leasing that property on Lower Elk Creek.  You’ve forever lost my
business and that of my many friends.  Including the group of 40 out of state
anglers who were all going to be stopping in your shop next month.  Hope it was
worth it!  Greedy people like you are ruining Erie’s fishery forever.

Trout Run Bait & Tackle then flipped out a little bit sending me two e-mails, one of which is posted above and the second included comments like "real easy to talk big when hiding behind a computer" and some thing about "that's what I used to tell my middle school children" and that "you might like to take this chance to apologize".  sheesh.

I don't think they understand what a lease is either.  They are essentially sub-leasing the property, in other words they are leasing through a broker.
2013/10/10 10:22:50
D-nymph
SteelSlayer77
D-nymph
No.
How would you like it if I or the state told you what to do with YOUR property?  Earlier, essentially what you said, is the steelhead are valuable to the public, and if the private landowners don't like it, they should sell their properties & move their families somewhere else.  Think about it.  I hope you are not older than 16.

Well it's essentially already being done with the navigability rule on other trout streams, do you not agree with that current law either?

The Lehigh & Little J are rivers, not ditches, like the Erie tribs.  There are no other cases pending in PA that I'm aware of.  Elk Creek could possibly get that designation if someone was to pay for the lawyers to get it done.  Do you have the dough to get it done?  If so, go for it. This has been discussed here for years, and in great detail.
2013/10/10 10:27:00
D-nymph
They must've gotten more e-mails because they posted this last night:

I truly had no idea that having our guides fish on a private section of water would cause such a riot. Our guides will stick to public access from now on...

http://trout-run.blogspot.com/

If true, good for them.
2013/10/10 10:35:28
Loomis
Fished the middle of Elk creek yesterday and did awesome, went to the Manchester hole and caught a bunch too.

Water was low and clear, roped 2 saw many others.

Was thinking about fishing below the tubes heard there's a ton of fish there.
2013/10/10 10:49:22
Sharpefly
All of this was was brought up to or Commissioner Ed Mascharka last nite at the PSA meeting. The group of attends let him know how the fisherman feel about groups using all our stocked fish for there private fishing areas and someone making money from our fish bought with our fishing license money. May be  we should have a mob fishin on these areas to wake up the Fish Commission.
2013/10/10 11:04:48
Accountant
I have never fished for stillheads in erie, and I have no real desire to fish for them.  But i do read this forum frequently and hear the tubes being mentioned frequently.  Is it like one of the top 2 or 3 stillheading spots in erie?
2013/10/10 11:28:26
bingsbaits
Was a good spot to fish...
2013/10/10 12:07:10
cbeagler

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account