2013/10/09 20:38:55
NAsteelheader
If the land is posted and no public access is allowed, IT SHOULD BE DEEMED NURSERY WATERS. No individual should be permited to make profit from the fish that we pay as anglers to have stocked. this is not right. We buy our fishing liscense every year and some of us donate money through the 3cu's. Most steelhead fisherman donate to the 3cu's wether they know it or not. Every time that you buy skien or trout eggs, that's where the money goes.  THIS IS NOT RIGHT.  IT SHOULD BE STOPPED BY THE PAfish commission
2013/10/09 21:25:36
pikepredator2
our taxes and license fees pay for the stocking of fish in these streams.  if a land owner is going to block access to we, the fishermen, and lease the fishing rights for "our" fish to a select group of paying customers, then said land owner should be charged an additional tax, a fish hoarding tax if you would. 
2013/10/09 21:27:14
spoonchucker
"THIS IS NOT RIGHT.  IT SHOULD BE STOPPED BY THE PAfish commission"

****ed right. The PF&BC should stop letting "YOUR" fish, swim all over someone else's property.
2013/10/09 21:30:02
workcanwait....
"Maybe we can construct an artificial barrier at rt 5 preventing upstream passage of the artificial tax paid for fish so they cannot be privatized by someone seeking to generate income from our artificial fishery."

I think this was the dumbest reply.
Yeah cut off he flow of fish to all the water above tubes that is still accessible.BRILLANT!!!

2013/10/09 22:03:52
Esox_Hunter
The PFBC makes a conscious effort to avoid stocking trout in private, closed to the public fishing sections of trout waters.  Spoon just taught us that steelhead will not stay put and will at some point wind up in private non-accessible portions of the Erie ditches.  Every year for quite some time now we have experienced a reduction in publicly accessible steelhead water.  So with that said, why not take the same approach with steelhead stocking as we do with trout fishing and quit stocking the stupid things?  Why bother to allocate that much funding towards something that can't be fully utilized by the majority of the people contributing the money?
2013/10/09 22:27:42
flyfisherman
I made a post a few years back about this exact topic. Every year that goes by, less and less land is available to fish. Before you know it, every trib in erie will look like manchester. It was not that long ago when you could walk as far as you could fishing a particular creek. Now, you are lucky to be able to walk a few miles before coming across signs. Frustrating to say the least.

I cant really blame people who post their land to make money. 99% of you would do the same if you could. The problem is that there are too many fish, too many fisherman and just a little water. I think the best solution would be to classify it as nursery waters. It gets landowners their "privacy" and keeps fish in the water for the people who "OWN" them to catch. The challenge is enforcing that those nursery waters remain that way. good luck with that one.

2013/10/09 22:35:51
NAsteelheader
I can completely understand if the landowners don't want a zillion people tromping all over there land. However, they should not be permited to profit from it either!!!!!
2013/10/10 07:26:41
fish12
And there's proably a steelhead fee coming or stream usage fee.
2013/10/10 09:39:10
D-nymph
SteelSlayer77
D-nymph
Git Ahht Landownerz! Deez R ahr cricks!  We pay fur dem steEkHeadZ ta be stahked wif ahr licinz muney!

So because some stream barely holding water today was used for commercial purposes in the early 1800s and deemed navigable anyone can wade through within the high water marks, but a publicly funded recreational resource in use today shouldn't give residents of the state the same right? 

No.
How would you like it if I or the state told you what to do with YOUR property?  Earlier, essentially what you said, is the steelhead are valuable to the public, and if the private landowners don't like it, they should sell their properties & move their families somewhere else.  Think about it.  I hope you are not older than 16.
2013/10/10 09:40:47
D-nymph
fish12
And there's proably a steelhead fee coming or stream usage fee.

There already is, the lake Erie stamp & trout stamp.

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account