2013/03/12 02:51:44
smally hunter
not asking for where you use the baits just trying to find some néw items to test for myself this year. So just curious to see what everyones go to artificials are for the paper mouth species. Big thing I'm curious about it micro crank baits fo casting . My personal go tos are just about anything Bobby garland or crappie stingers on a 1/64 or 1/32 . Vary rarely do I go over this unless I'm fishing moving water . Also I suppose when in doubt a tail that comes to a point just does it right
2013/03/12 06:40:41
CRAPPIE_SLAYER
Once the water warms up some and the fish are a little more active I like to throw some of the small cranks.  Think they are made by strike king.  Some days they seem to work well, others not so much.  I'll usually catch a few fish from an area on them, then switch to a small jig when the action on the crank slows down.  The bro bloodworm is quickly becoming my goto soft plastic. 
2013/03/12 07:44:24
Bogeyjoker
I typically use small cranks at the top end of the temp scale during pre-spawn, spawn and post-spawn...60*+.  At 56-60* I'm using jigs and tubes or swimbaits.  I almost never use live bait.  In my experience, when the water is colder, they don't seem to have as much of a desire to chase cranks.
2013/03/12 07:58:35
FishinGuy
I have good luck trolling with rapala Shad raps, and glass Shad raps that dive 10-12' and Norman deep little Ns. They're bigger than what I would have thought would work, but they've caught me some big crappies. Also this is mainly post spawn. Especially when the mud line at my local lake pushes any remaining fish off shore a bit.
2013/03/12 12:23:15
slabdaddy
1/64 or 1/32 minifoo red head/ white feather or green head/ chartruese feather, tipped with a 1" Berkley Gulp Alive minnow.
2013/03/12 20:27:02
bcain
Bogeyjoker, just wondering. What is your reason for not using live bait? Just wondering because I seem to do the best with pieces of nightcrawlers or minnows. I can say that I haven't caught a lot of crappies in my life. I always thought its because I fish from shore. Just seemed to me that I always see guys pulling them in from boats.
2013/03/12 22:45:39
Bogeyjoker
bcain

Bogeyjoker, just wondering. What is your reason for not using live bait? Just wondering because I seem to do the best with pieces of nightcrawlers or minnows. I can say that I haven't caught a lot of crappies in my life. I always thought its because I fish from shore. Just seemed to me that I always see guys pulling them in from boats.

I used to drown minnows as much as the next guy...and still do during ice season, but I simply haven't found a time around the spawn or late fall that they won't eat tubes or swim baits.  I'll often fish with guys that insist on bringing minnows until they see the tubes outfishing live bait without the hassle.  Hint:  No matter what size tube or swim bait you are using...use a light weight 1/64 or 1/32 jig to ensure a slow drop.  The clearer the water the smaller and more natural color the tube/swimbait.  The more stained, the brighter the color and larger the bait.
2013/03/13 09:11:47
Porktown
I'm still a sucker for bringing minnows.  Very often let 90% go after the day is over.  But definitely days that they are the only thing producing for me.

As for my favorites - I am a fan of the Gulp minnows, both 1" and 2.5".  Also like to make my own jigs, either with the 1/32-1/8 jig heads or a hook with glass bead head.  Either plain if willing or tipped.  Little pieces of the bright colored trout worms work well for tipping, but Gulp seems to have them hold on.  Definitely days that they will take a certain color tube over anything else.

I do find a boat to help a ton with crappie, and most fish for that matter.  You can hit many more brush piles and easier access to most submerged structure, as well as ease of moving from spot to spot.  Knowing the lake and seasonal movement is more important though.  There are guys that don't need a boat, fill up a cooler to the top, while I'm casting away my tackle box into 10 unproductive brush piles...
2013/03/13 09:35:17
slabdaddy
Bogey, are we still going to fish Pymie for slabs this spring?
2013/03/13 11:15:30
Bogeyjoker

slabdaddy

Bogey, are we still going to fish Pymie for slabs this spring?

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account