2012/12/22 10:17:42
Clint S
Well I decided to start this tread to discuss the weather up here.   I may not get to it every day, but when we have decent weather to speak of I will post it up.   Keep in mind for snow totals I live about 10 miles from the river Altmar and maybe 15 Pulaski.   Around here snow totals can vary up to a foot even in that short of time.
If you want to know something specific or are "coming up tomorrow"  and I have not posted jut throw in a reply and I will try.   I usually check the board a few times a day.

So yesterday the world did not end, but the "nice" weather did.   As of right now 1000am 12/22 we have about 10 or so inches of snow that has fallen.  The rain turned to snow much faster than expected, but  the ground is still warm and it still bumped the river up to over 1200 so we are getting a fair amount of run off as of right now.   The reservoir is officially full and has crested to the boards of the dam.
2012/12/22 13:15:15
llp30
Clint, was thinking of heading up tomorrow. Pineville gauge says 700 right now??

2012/12/22 13:25:10
pafisher
The gauge dropped from 1200 to 700 like a stone?The power co says they are releasing 900 till Monday.Something is not right here LOL.
Does n't matter to me as I'll be heading west tomorrow for the holidays.
2012/12/22 14:33:14
Clint S
Whew just got in from cleaning up the driveway.  What a time for a wire to break rendering my plow useless.  Finally got it fixed and everything is cleaned up.

No clue why it dropped. like said above it says 900 till Monday.   With the ground still being pretty warm a little of this snow is melting.   I would not be surprised if the actual flow of the river minus run off is around 500 or so.   I would think we will see it bump back up .
  My friend in Redfield said  they got well over a foot and farther up on the tug got 20 plus.   Here we got between 6 and 10 with much larger drifts. 
2012/12/22 16:32:52
dimebrite
Been a while since i checked in... nice reports, info and comradery guys... been too busy to fish. Sure wish i can soon as the past two weeks have been my type of water, and it looks like the next few will be as well...

Clint, i like the idea of this thread as i love weather myself and natural stuff that happens and comes along with it. Apparently most natural flowing tribs have crested and are waning nicely right now... they should all come to a hault with actual winter temps closing in on us in the next few days. Salmon river should be prime for some genuine winter steelhead conditions with perfect flow levels. Anyone whos gonna be getting time on the water enjoy it. Im looking forward to some time next week and weekend hopefully. Praying the natural flowers dont get ice jammed before i get to give em a whirl...

Happy holidays to everyone and as always, tight lines
2012/12/22 18:54:19
llp30
Aha.....answer is....they dropped flow to 335. Pville gauge just under 700.
2012/12/22 19:10:32
Clint S
Very odd, but yes they dropped it to 335.
2012/12/22 19:32:41
dimebrite
Definitely odd, but definitely for a reason... the rain snow line was undefined with this storm and it ended up changing to snow faster than predicted in the upper reaches, while pulaski had pouring rain for a longer time... now take in to consideration the extended forecast. There is no threat of liquid precipitation or warm temps at all. Winter is here and the res is full which is a good thing. Maybe brookfield is keeping a closer local eye on the water system. With the faster rain toto snow change over they maybe decided to close the gates and save that liquid gold of theres for a more slow steady income producer??? And in turn its going to give us a great winter flow and winter water temps for some time to come!!!

Kudos to anyone who didnt cancel their trip and getting out tomorrow...wish i could be out there with ya
2012/12/22 19:59:58
Clint S
I was thinking that too DB.   Was supposed to rain all day Friday and ended up changing to snow very early in the AM.   Nice that they are keeping a better eye on this unlike this spring when they just "let it rip"  at 1800 for a week to 10 days even though the res was well below normal spring time levels.   Only 1 or 2 days at barely above freeing for the next week or so,  looks like winter is here.

Supposed to get 6 to 10 tonight we will see.   My tractor mounted blower leaves a bit to be desires as my reverse speed is a bit fast and I end up pushing a fair bit snow rather than blowing it.   It sure beats shoveling though. 
2012/12/22 20:18:07
dimebrite
Hopefully they are keeping a closer eye on it clint. As they are basically playing with fire. They have recieved much negative feed back in the past few years so i imagine they are/should be keeping a closer eye on it. This makes me wonder now what impact it would have on the river??? If they really started monitoring and managing this system better it would be a win win situation...what do you think??? They would benefit from maximizing their profit margins and the fishery would benefit as well... just a thought here, but i would think that the better they mamage the water, the more natural the river would flow maybe???? Would the river maybe come up and down similar to a natural flowing river??? I dont know, just using my imagination here. But i would love to see a more varying flow than a steady redundant norm...just look at the recent pineville chart, its up and down like a natural flowing stream... its actually mostly identical to all surrounding streams with natural flows... could be wishful thinking on my part, but hey... ya gotta exercise dreedom of speech sometimes

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account