2012/11/02 21:41:24
just_wanna_fish
I can honestly say i have never burnt a doe tag. i have however passed on small deer for several years only to come up skunked. i have had the conversation with my buddy, why is it that we have not taken any deer here and they never get bigger and there is never any more than last year.
i will be the first to admitt ohh say 7 years ago when we first started hunting the area ( a small local spot ) we over hunted i got my buck and 2 doe he got his buck and 2 doe and another guy got his buck and 2 doe. but still we would see a lot of deer, suddenly it seems like overnight poof gone, all we would see are the "pets" always 3 always the same size every year coming in the back yard. at one point i saw more coyote tracks than deer. are coyote killing deer ? i have to say yes. the irony is late season is the only time we see "differant" deer. in years past it was hard to get a doe tag now you can look at the allocation map and see the game comish is condoning the erradication of deer in higher populated areas. and i have told them as much im sure they took it to heart. the PGC uses us as tools last year 1 bear was taken in allegheny county plus many sightings now this year quite the expanded bear season. so is allowing us to hunt bears to the point of extinction in allegheny county again a good thing? now you have the "cripplers" out there with bows winging arrows at bears. suddenly the bear your neighbor has been feeding is wounded hiding under his deck, might be a recipie for disaster. and i still have no idea were the hords of Amish are haha
2012/11/04 19:50:15
psu_fish
leave the city and head north 
2012/11/05 05:44:35
krott243
Amish are pretty good people and sportsman as well. Im sure some do it illegally but there is people around like that everywhere, amish or not. Like Docto said, I have never once been denied permission to hunt an amish farm. They always open their land up to hunters. As far as over hunting, I bet there is not an amish person around who hunts or fishes more hours in a week than I do, so do I consider myself over hunting and fishing?  No. Although I give a lot of meat away, Im sure they use every bit they harvest. I say let them do what they want if there in the legal boundries of it.
2023/01/27 14:51:48
crappiefisher
  I have met and know a good number of Amish that live close to Pymie lake and not one of them fish. Counted 17 buck late this summer while sitting on front porch up there in Amish community surrounding. There is a wildlife sanctuary area a few hundred yards behind my place though. Wish some of them fished so could've helped me out a bit.
2023/02/06 13:06:52
dpms
Holy smokes. This old thread brought back some names from the past. I know Dr Trout passed away from a heart attack. I think Spoonchucker is not with us any longer as well? Maybe someone can confirm that? S-10 used to be a regular contributor but have not seen him around at all over quite a few years. 
2023/02/06 16:03:46
crappiefisher
 Stopped at a Amish homestead yesterday to see if the week of the 20th is still a go for them to work on my place. Counted 8--14 deer in 4 fields and 5 or less in a few others, 3 mile drive. Bald Eagle in son's back yard today plus around 150--200 geese across the street.
2023/02/13 10:42:25
Panfisher
dpms
Holy smokes. This old thread brought back some names from the past. I know Dr Trout passed away from a heart attack. I think Spoonchucker is not with us any longer as well? Maybe someone can confirm that? S-10 used to be a regular contributor but have not seen him around at all over quite a few years. 

Yes, spoonchucker passed several years ago and as you said Dr. Trout passed as well.

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account