2012/10/31 18:38:36
just_wanna_fish
do the Amish really over hunt and fish areas and if so, were? i have never been anywere when droves of Amish roll up but then again most of my hunting and fishing (lately) is within an 1:30 minutes of monroeville.
2012/10/31 19:18:14
spoonchucker
Alot of people believe they do. Yet there always seems to be enough left, for them to "over harvest" the next year, and the next. So judge for yourself. I'd say to some degree, and more in certain areas, but not as much as many people percieve.
2012/10/31 19:54:03
just_wanna_fish
the jealousy thing could be valid, i personally have never even seen any Amish hunting or fishing. people feel a need to blame something or someone when there isnt any fish or game. I keep hearing tionesta is hunted out, talking to a guy yesterday i ask is tionesta really as bad as i hear? he wips out his phone and shows me a pic of his buddies monster buck, in one of the areas i was considering buying a camp. short of spending countless hours of scouting and a million dollars in gas how the hell do you know. haha
2012/10/31 20:43:10
S-10
Yes they do in many areas. You have to remember that they hunt for food as our ancestors did, not sport, and as such, do not practice catch and  release. If it's legal, it's dead. In addition they normally have large families and they all have licenses and doe tags if they can get them. It is truly brown and down. They also hunt in groups and are very good at what they do.
Part of the property I killed my buck on is posted no doe hunting because of the Amish and the landowner said if that doesn't work it will be no trespassing next.
As for Tionesta, ask your buddy how many bucks the guy has killed there in the last decade.
2012/10/31 21:02:41
SmMouthSeeker
just_wanna_fish

do the Amish really over hunt and fish areas and if so, were? i have never been anywere when droves of Amish roll up but then again most of my hunting and fishing (lately) is within an 1:30 minutes of monroeville.

I've heard the stories too, but somebody always has to put the blame on somebody else. I'm around the Amish, I know they follow the rules just like the rest of us. They only take what they are allowed to have. I'm not saying that some don't, but many of us English are just as guilty. 
2012/10/31 21:35:45
bingsbaits
What hurts is the shear number of tags they can get legally.
They all have hunting lscences with as many tags as they can get.
We rode around our block one night and made a guestimate of the number of tags in our 2 mile square area.
The numbers were scary, not that many deer in the township.

I live right in the heart of amish country, I hunt their land they hunt mine.
They are just much better at killing deer than us Yankees are. 
I would like to see stats on how many of their tags get filled compared to how many of the Yankees get filled.
They are subsistance hunting, most of us a re sport hunting there is a difference.

They do like to fill all the families tags and some times I question just who is killing those deer that get tagged...

They can have an affect on a fishery that is struggling. They will keep every legal fish they put a hook in and then some. If we all did that there would be NO fish.....

2012/10/31 22:47:10
HereLilFishy
If not the Amish it must be the Russians then?
2012/10/31 23:21:00
CRAPPIE_SLAYER
Not sure about the whole thing with the dutchies, but as far as Tionesta goes, was at a camp with some friends last weekend, and in 3 days of grouse / turkey hunting I saw 4 shooter 8 points.  Pretty decent average I thought.
2012/11/01 01:46:59
spoonchucker
Well there is an estimated Amish population of 63,000 for the entire state. Since hunting& fishing would not be "womanly" activities, you can eliminate at least 40 percent from that. Then probly another 5-10% at least that are too young or too old ( fishing ), and 10-15% ( hunting ).  That leaves the Amish holding 3-4% of the total licenses in Penna at MOST. As there are also no doubt some that are too busy farming or working other jobs to fish.

You decide how much of an impact ( overall ) that they have on fish/game populations compared to the rest of us. Granted in areas where their population is denser, the impact will be higher. But is it really as high as percieved?
2012/11/01 06:32:06
just_wanna_fish
good point spoon

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account