2012/10/30 16:04:11
Pachuckles
From now till the lakes ice up, will there be any good fishing for Bluegills or Crappies?
You need to wear life jackets/preservers from Nov. till April for fishing in a boat.
I've still got some crawlers that I picked up this spring. Save them for icefishing?
I suppose ice jigs and grubs would be the thing to use. Right?
Just wondering....any thoughts??

2012/10/30 16:42:46
Pork
Only need to wear the pfd on boats less than 16' in length, and all canoes & kayaks.
Hog gills hit good last Thursday. Was a beaut of a day too! :)
Suspended right along the weed edge on the drop-offs...
Gulp mini, on a chart. ant, set 10' below a slip float did it for me.
Same body of water we talked about this past spring, just a bit deeper.;)
2012/10/30 17:29:51
mr.crappie
We have been doing very well on bullgills up to & over 11",also doing well on Crappie,tho not the # of slabs that we usualy get this time of year. As a bonus doing o.k. on perch, although I am fishing a little high for them.Water temps are great for most everything now so it's hard to pick.Very seldom do I mess with bait when plastic works so well most of the time.When the water gets colder try fishing closer to the top. Esp. keep an eye out for bugs rising ion the early afternoon. Then about 4pm things normaly pick up,just like on the ice. btw was surprised to hook a bluegill about 1/2" also a small bass about 4".  sam
2012/10/30 17:37:06
rippinlip
I hardly ever bother with bait anymore either.This has been an off year for me for the bigger Crappies. I hope it picks up.
2012/11/21 14:22:42
shrodreel
Hey Mr. Crappie - Any chance of a foto or two of one of those 11"+ bluegills your getting ? I got one just over 9" this past summer and I thought that was a big gill....
2012/11/21 17:15:13
mr.crappie
SHRODREEL, Sorry,although I also like to look at picts,I almost never carry a camera & don't have a cell phone that can take picts. Wouldn't do me any good if I did as I always leave the phone in the truck.BTW in case you are intrested,while jigging for trout we are still catching gills & perch right before dark.  sam
2012/11/22 13:04:52
Big Tuna
I'm 60 years old and fish some of the best public and private lakes in Pa. and only get  a handful of Gills over 10 inches every year,!00's from 9 to 9.5 but not many 10's not to mention 11 plus.
2012/11/22 19:47:26
XtopwaterkingX
I got one gill at 11 inch so far this year. Throwin a bigger in line spinner for trout haha
2012/11/22 20:51:23
shrodreel
I'm 68 yrs old ....I still ain't never seen an 11" + bluegill caught in Pa...I haven't even seen a 10" gill..I know you guys don't want to disclose your hot spots...so maybe you could just lay one of them 10"-11" bluegills on a ruler and take a picture of it for me...That's the only way I guess I'll ever see one...
2012/11/23 08:16:11
chauncy
shrodreel 

I'm 68 yrs old ....I still ain't never seen an 11" + bluegill caught in Pa...I haven't even seen a 10" gill..I know you guys don't want to disclose your hot spots...so maybe you could just lay one of them 10"-11" bluegills on a ruler and take a picture of it for me...That's the only way I guess I'll ever see one...

Have to agree with you on this one. Seen a few 10's but never an 11. How many years would it take for it to grow that size up north? I've caught some down at Ky lake years ago but never up this way.

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account