2012/06/23 10:30:17
huntsunday
Hi! This is Kathy Davis and I am one of the founders of Hunters United for Sunday Hunting.  I saw the other thread here a while back; and thought I'd clear up some of the nonsense.  I posted this on our facebook page today. One of the attorneys who is giving us advice from Virginia donated $500 this morning. He knows that once this falls in PA it will likely fall everywhere.  There are reasons; but we'll wait until after our case is filed to disclose them.  We have hired attorney Peter J Russo of Mechanicsburg PA to represent us.

As we hope you know, we intend to challenge the Sunday hunting closure law in court.

We intend to do that by making the state recognize that hunting is a right in PA and not the privilege as its being treated.
While rights are subject to reasonable regulation, we believe this is an unlawful law.
Our first Constitution said in SECT. 43. The inhabitants of this state shall have liberty to fowl and hunt in seasonable times on the lands they hold, and on all other lands therein not inclosed; and in like manner to fish in all boatable waters, and others not private property

Each newer version has a statement similar to the one in 1790.
SCHEDULE from 1790
That no inconvenience may arise from the Alterations and Amendments in the Constitution of this Commonwealth, and in order to carry the same into complete operation, it is hereby declared and ordained, Of former laws, proceedings and contracts.
I. That all laws of this commonwealth, in force at the time of making the said alterations and amendments in the said Constitution, and not inconsistent therewith, and all rights, actions, prosecutions, claims and contracts, as well of individuals as of bodies corporate, shall continue as if the said alterations and amendments had not been made.

Simply, we still have the RIGHT to hunt; but we must show this in court. We need your help to do that; so we have to fund raise between now and the time this goes to court. We are trying to reach a short term goal of $15,000 total raised by July 4th. We have currently raised $12,000. Our total goal is a minimum raised of $70,000 but we don't need that all at once.

If you have already given, THANK YOU! We ask that you try to get at least one friend to donate too.
If you haven't, please consider a donation now. We want all of our supporters to one day be able to say to their children or grandchildren that they had an active role in restoring the right to hunt and fish in PA, and to be able to say "There was once a ban on Sunday Hunting,. I am part of the reason this ban was removed.  I also cared enough to restore hunting and fishing as a RIGHT in PA."

Please donate now.
http://www.huntsunday.com/#/donate/4563996517
Kathy

2012/06/23 10:37:40
huntsunday
Our mailing address is
HUSH
PO BOX 255
Lititz PA 17543

Thanks for the support for those who understand how truly pro-hunting this is.
2012/06/23 18:52:36
S-10
Sounds typical---Out of state doners and out of state pressure to adopt regulations the majority of state residents and hunters said they didn't want.  If it passes will those hunter/landowners with posted property who think this is a good idea open their  land up to make room for the hunters who lose out because former open property gets posted ?
There is no ban on Sunday hunting, you just can't hunt everything you want. Heck I can't hunt Hawks, Owls, Bluebirds or Robins either, maybe I should sue.

2012/06/24 11:46:51
huntsunday
Sorry you don't think its worth fighting to regain hunting as a right S-10.

I sure do, but then again, I was a Marine and took the oath to defend and uphold the constitution seriously.

In a study by SanJulian at PSU more than 10 years ago, 75% of land was already posted in PA; although 75% still allowed some form of hunting.  More has been posted since; so I seriously doubt it will have a great effect (it didn't in any of the other 43 states that have Sunday hunting) on what little is left.

In any case, a landowner will be able to make that choice 7 days a week rather than being limited to 6 as his or she is now.  Its a freedom issue.

There will be 5 million acres of public land available to hunting in any case; plus the land where people have permission to be on. I don't know how you count that as a loss.  Maybe you can do the math for us?
2012/06/24 14:26:57
S-10
The issue isn't to regain the right to hunt just as it isn't about who has control. Those are just attempts to deflect the issue because there isn't enough support for the REAL ISSUE which is Sunday Hunting, mainly for deer.

I am also a former Marine and took the same oath which has nothing to do with the issue at hand although I applaud you for your choice.

I have hunted several states that currently have Sunday hunting and have knocked on enough doors over the last 50 years to call BS on anyone who claims It does not or did not have an effect on loss of land. They also said HR/AR would not have an effect on loss of land in PA and we all see how that worked out.

Both the PGC and QDMA cite loss of land as a serious problem for the hunter and the PGC hunter survey showed that lack of places to hunt was the #2 reason for hunters leaving the sport.

If your group was really concerned about hunter recruitment why wouldn't they address the reasons the hunters themselves gave for leaving the sport (LACK OF GAME) (LACK OF PLACES TO HUNT) rather than re visiting an issue the hunters already showed they didn't support in enough numbers to have  pass even when told they held the key .
2012/06/24 14:47:57
huntsunday
Oh, good heavens.  Please, tell me what grade you got in mind reading class.

Our group exists for a couple of reasons S-10.

1) to re-establish hunting as a right
2) to remove the prohibition on Sunday. 

Why don't you go visit the corporations bureau and look at our articles of incorporation.  Its right there in black and white.

If you want YOUR issues addressed; I suggest YOU start an organzation and YOU set those as YOUR goal.  Its going to be easier for you once we re-establish hunting as a right though.
2012/06/24 15:15:14
S-10
  You can hunt Sundays---Just not what you seem to want too----I can't hunt hawks, owls, bluebirds, or robbins either. Is that my right. Being a former Marine you know that rights are not totally absloute.  No one is saying we can't hunt.  The right to hunt is not in question

You give as a reason your group is pushing the issue  the fact we are losing hunters at a faster rate than we are gaining them  and claim allowing Sunday Hunting will reverse that in spite of the fact that it will negatively effect the top two reasons the hunters have given for giving up on hunting.

I can keep this up as long as you want or we can just agree to disagree on this issue.

It's the quality of the time spent hunting (or any sport) that keeps folks coming back not the amount of time spent. Further depleting a already diminished game resource will add nothing to the quality of the hunt.
2012/06/24 18:11:31
eyesandgillz
Keep up the fight Kathy. Many of us out there support the cause.
2012/06/24 18:51:30
dpms
S-10

Sounds typical---Out of state doners and out of state pressure to adopt regulations the majority of state residents and hunters said they didn't want. 

Reasonable to assume that non hunters may not favor Sunday hunting. Personally, their weight should be far down the scale when it comes to the management of our wildlife resources.

As far as hunters, many polls show that hunters favor removing the general assembly from the role of regulating hunting on Sundays. These same hunters slightly oppose expansion of Sunday hunting, mostly only for deer, according to the same surveys.

2012/06/24 18:55:54
dpms
S-10

The issue isn't to regain the right to hunt just as it isn't about who has control. Those are just attempts to deflect the issue because there isn't enough support for the REAL ISSUE which is Sunday Hunting, mainly for deer.

The real issue is politicians regulating hunting in this state and the dangers that exist moving forward with the status quo. You are right though, it is all about deer for most that are opposed to the idea of a regulatory transfer and/or expansion of Sunday hunting.

The is a process in place to oppose expansion for deer. The difference is the discussion will be where it is supposed to be which is Elmerton Avenue.

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account