2012/01/19 19:32:21
LAMI08
I know a lot of you guys fish the Reservation part of the Catt, so this is a heads up. I just picked up my new license for the Reservation and they have a new reg..Reg No.6 states "All persons must use non-toxic sinkers. Split shot at any weight is strictly prohibited." 

2012/01/20 14:31:35
D-nymph
Nice. I like it. Keep the pinners away.
2012/01/22 14:40:30
LAMI08
If anyone is interested in contacting the SNI about the no lead regs their imposing here is a post I read at another site..
This link was sent to me today.
SNI lead ban concerns ? Call or email:
Officer Info: William Miller, Chief Conservation Officer, 716-474-9335
or email will.miller@sni.org Shane Titus, Fisheries Manager,
716-474-8642 or email shane.titus@sni.org
Many thanks for the link, "j"
It might be worth letting them know our feelings on this decision, since NYDEC allows lead shot.
Also, If one of their own, discharges a standard twelve ga. lead shotshell, which falls anywhere in the storm run-off basin, it is equal to 10 times the loss of one 8gm bunch of shot, on the normal floatfishing rig!
Bill
2012/01/22 17:53:43
papinner
If split shot are banned does that mean that the leadcore sink tips the spey guys use are banned as well
2012/01/23 09:02:34
Plum Bob

ORIGINAL: papinner

If split shot are banned does that mean that the leadcore sink tips the spey guys use are banned as well

No. Sink tips used by the "spey guys" are tungsten or zinc coated mono.
2012/01/23 09:20:44
bingsbaits
How about flies with the lead wrapped on ???
I think most of my flies are weighted a little bit with lead.

Or is it just Splitshot ???

2012/01/23 09:50:38
Plum Bob
Bings, I don't know for sure, believe this just applies to split shot, lead weighted flies are legal, I certainly wouldn't worry about fishing a lead body weighted fly on the res. water of catt. The flies I fish are brass cone or nickel plated lead dumbell front weighted tubes with Tungsten coated sink tips. If you don't add shot to your leader, I wouldn't worry about it.
2012/01/23 10:58:55
D-nymph

ORIGINAL: papinner

Nope, I use tungsten.

Suck it.

2012/01/24 09:18:46
LAMI08
Here's the reply I received from the SNI conservation officials:

Concerned Anglers,

I understand the issue you have described.  The Seneca Nation Fish & Wildlife Department has taken great strides to address environmental safety issues when it involves fish and wildlife.  The Law is to ensure the non-use of toxic sinker and lures that may have a negative effect on the fish species along with animals that consume fish.  In discussion within the Department we believe the Law is misinterpreted, item #6 which states: “All persons must use non-toxic sinkers. Split shot at any weight is strictly prohibited”. This statement is an error, it should simply state: “All persons must use non-toxic sinkers.  Split shot of toxic material at any weight is strictly prohibited”.  New York State prohibits the sale and use of lead sinkers and lures.
The other question being raised is in reference to the category of ICE FISHING, item#1 which states: “Ice Fishing is permitted from Nov15th through March14th with no minimum length”. This was also an error and should simply state: “Ice fishing is permitted from Nov15th through March 14th”. 
The Department is working with the Seneca Nation Department of Justice to correct these errors.  We will also be sending all vendors the attached statement to clear up any questions. 
In conclusion, we strive to please all anglers and sportsman but we understand we can’t please all, but we will address issues in the future.  The Tribal Council will address and review the Fish and Game laws every year to better fulfill the needs of the anglers.
Thank you for your concerns and questions. 

Sent: Sunday, January 22, 2012 4:50 PM
To: Will Miller; Shane Titus
Subject: No Lead

Gentlemen,           Just purchased my SNI fishing license for the 25th consecutive year...Picked up the new fishing laws brochure to see that lead shot is no longer permitted in the SNI streams...to say the least, this is very disappointing. I don't know if this decision was that of the SNI officials or from outside influence.. I personally will not purchase a SNI license in the future. If there was outside influence, I'd like to know who would be so powerful to convince the SNI officials that this is the right way to go..  My two cents a very poor decision.                                                                                                   regards Bob 
2012/01/24 16:06:44
LAMI08
Here's another reply a concerned fisherman received from a SNI Official..this covers it all..........

Another reply was sent to my above concerns.

No Toxic (lead) sinkers, lines, lures. There are alternatives to these products. Please remember we are not trying to cause hardship or problems for anglers. Most of my officers are anglers and passionate about the fish and the habitat. The intensions are to help the fish species along with birds and animals that use fish for food. There are many states, New York included have regulated lead in waterways.

Hopefully this helps, and I want to encourage you along with other anglers to ask questions and voice your concerns. We listen to all concerns and try to are best ability to address them. The SNI Fishing Laws are reviewed every year. We will take any constructive criticism and try to better it. We understand we will not be able to please all, but we will try to please for both sides (anglers and wildlife).

Below is the NYS site and information about lead.
http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/7908.html

Thank you again,

William Miller

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account