2012/03/13 22:49:33
JerryS
anzomcik,

Beyond my expectations. I don't miss my 40hp anymore!

This week I'm installing a new fishfinder. Hope it goes as well as the prop.

Jerry
2012/03/23 12:24:34
Porktown
I've been contemplating the same for a little while. Although too cheap to put up the $2k+ for a 20. I have a 50HP, that hasn't been used in 3 years... Probably needs some work, although worked fine the last time used. And a 15 with 9.9 stickers. Was going to just try the smaller motor by itself, it could use a new prop too, a little dinged up from some rocks about 50 feet from the Jamestown boat launch. I'm getting about 10mph by myself now, and about 1mph less per person added. I'm guessing taking a 300lb weight off of the back should gain me 1-2 mph? Would love to be in the 15mph range, if taking the larger motor and new prop would do that... Any suggestions on prop sizes? It's a 94, Evinrude 15, guessing original prop - 3 blade. Boat is 16.5 (17) Grumman - side console, not sure of exact weight. Probably 100lbs of crap in storage that I could take off too...

Anyone happen to want a 1988 (I think), Yamaha Pro 50 for cheap? I'd give it away, for help getting the 15 to run on it's own. I'm running a steering link, and not sure how to get it to steer the 15. I know the gas line to the external tank of the 50 needs replaced, and no longer have a starting battery...
2012/03/23 12:48:11
anzomcik

ORIGINAL: Porktown

I've been contemplating the same for a little while. Although too cheap to put up the $2k+ for a 20. I have a 50HP, that hasn't been used in 3 years... Probably needs some work, although worked fine the last time used. And a 15 with 9.9 stickers. Was going to just try the smaller motor by itself, it could use a new prop too, a little dinged up from some rocks about 50 feet from the Jamestown boat launch. I'm getting about 10mph by myself now, and about 1mph less per person added. I'm guessing taking a 300lb weight off of the back should gain me 1-2 mph? Would love to be in the 15mph range, if taking the larger motor and new prop would do that... Any suggestions on prop sizes? It's a 94, Evinrude 15, guessing original prop - 3 blade. Boat is 16.5 (17) Grumman - side console, not sure of exact weight. Probably 100lbs of crap in storage that I could take off too...

Anyone happen to want a 1988 (I think), Yamaha Pro 50 for cheap? I'd give it away, for help getting the 15 to run on it's own. I'm running a steering link, and not sure how to get it to steer the 15. I know the gas line to the external tank of the 50 needs replaced, and no longer have a starting battery...

Pm sent.

I think you are on the threshold of the power required to plane. You might be able to with weight reduction, but it could be spotty.

I think we can get your sitution better, So we can talk more about it through PM.
2012/03/30 00:45:40
JerryS
Speed update.
My new fish finder is also a GPS. When my paddlewheel measures max speed of 21 mph, my new GPS reads 19 mph.

You would think the GPS is more accurate, but I question the GPS when trolling. I usually troll crankbaits between 2mph and 2.5 mph using the paddlewheel speedometer. At this speed the GPS reads 3.5mph to 4 mph, which I highly doubt.

Any thoughts?

Jerry
2012/03/30 05:59:19
Erie Mako
GPS is showing your speed over the ground in a bigger picture, the paddle wheel is showing your speed at that certain point and is also subject to water current and turbulence variations.

By bigger picture, I mean that several satellites that are thousands of miles away are referencing your location on the entire face of the earth.
2012/03/30 06:05:09
anzomcik
The paddle wheel when i ran one was always inaccurate, because water current weather going with or against will change how fast that little guy spins.

2-2.5 mph should be just a hair above idle for your motor. (if that helps with the amount of throttle, just a reference). If you are questioning the accuracy borrow a hand held gps to double check, or even a gps from a car or smart phone, i dont think those will go to tenths of a mph but it will let you know which of the two numbers is the correct speed.
2012/03/30 20:20:37
JerryS
You are correct, the 2 - 2.5 mph is just above idle. This is why I cannot believe the 3.5-4 mph from the GPS.

I will compare a handheld gps on my next trip. The high speed readings are a non-issue since I am happy with the top end performance. The trolling speed concerns me since I was hoping to not have to use both fishfinders at the same time.

Jerry
2012/04/22 19:30:14
jmat
Wow great post. I have a 2011 Alumacraft Classic 165 with a Yamaha 4 stroke and my boat can't get out of it's own way topping out at 7-9 mph based on how many people are in the boat, usually 2. I think I will look into this 4-blade prop. I would kill to get 15-16 mph out of this pig.
2012/04/23 22:52:55
JerryS
My Garmin handheld confirmed my fishfinder gps trolling speeds were accurate. It also confirmed paddlewheels, as others have stated, are not very accurate.

At trolling speeds the paddlewheel was about 1.3 mph too slow. At full throttle the paddlewheel was about 2.3 mph too fast.

I hope the others trying the Solas 4 blade prop see improved boat performance also.

Jerry
2012/04/29 14:40:47
jmat
Jerry,

I currently have a Yamaha F20 with a 9 1/4 X 8-J prop on a 16' 1000 lbs Alumacraft boat. I am currently getting about 8 mph out of it. And forget about getting on plane. My engine is running around 5500 rpm at wide open throttle. My engine range is rated for 5000-6000 rpm. What prop would you suggest?

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account