2011/03/12 20:30:58
Erie Mako

ORIGINAL: moose22dog
LMAO!!! thats no 32# or 41" looks like a cookie cutter 10-13 lbs

I'm sorry if I upset any of the reputable members on this board, but for my own sake, I need to call moose22dog on this one.
Here is the full pic from that nite.
The weight was taken with a Rapala digital scale, and length was with a Stanley pocket tape measure.

In the pic you see a yellow and white bait bucket - it measures 12" from top to bottom with the lid on. - compare it to the fish.

Also, I an 6'5" tall - compare me to the fish.

If you want to measure the bucket for yourself for comparison, that CAN be arranged!

Gather your information before calling another member a liar.
2011/03/13 06:59:06
Mountian Man
pHoToshopped eYe sees the white lines
2011/03/13 10:56:53
beerman0303
Moose, dead bait better than live for flatheads? I have always used live bait, but then again, I never caught a real big flat. Thanks for the tip, i'll be trying that for sure.
2011/03/13 15:49:36
Eman89so
You used a 17" smallie for catfish bait?
2011/03/13 19:47:07
Big Tuna
In the Ohio river fish deepest holes,big live bait gills as big as you can get them,crappies 9-10 inches and even small carp ,40 plus inch flatheads. Another sleeper spot is walnut creek after a summer storm,when it gets high and muddy ,I've caught some HUGE channels at night on cut bait or a gob of crawlers.
2011/03/13 19:57:09
ifishway2much
Any live fish 6"-8" works great.  My preference is Warmoth and Bluegills.  8/0 circle hooks with baits hooked on the top of the back just in front of the tail.  Use enough weight to hold bottom on a fish finder rig.  Don't set the hook.  Let the rod load and once the fish is pulling drag, start reeling.  Big cats are most active at night.  I've only been fishing for big cats for two years so I'm by no means an expert.  I do have three fish over 30 lbs using the above method.

Attached Image(s)

2011/03/13 19:57:11
wayne c
Not legal to use live carp as bait.
2011/03/13 20:22:51
moose22dog
ORIGINAL: ifishway2much

Any live fish 6"-8" works great.  My preference is Warmoth and Bluegills.  8/0 circle hooks with baits hooked on the top of the back just in front of the tail.  Use enough weight to hold bottom on a fish finder rig.  Don't set the hook.  Let the rod load and once the fish is pulling drag, start reeling.  Big cats are most active at night.  I've only been fishing for big cats for two years so I'm by no means an expert.  I do have three fish over 30 lbs using the above method.

now thats a 30+ lber nice fish, but please don't hold them by there gills. thats like me picking you up by your ears, you be bleeding as well. and i think your talking about green sunfish not warmouth's ( they are endangered) and yes greenies are one of the toughest/best live bait around. congrats on the fish again.
2011/03/13 20:24:54
moose22dog
ORIGINAL: Erie Mako

ORIGINAL: moose22dog
LMAO!!! thats no 32# or 41" looks like a cookie cutter 10-13 lbs

I'm sorry if I upset any of the reputable members on this board, but for my own sake, I need to call moose22dog on this one.
Here is the full pic from that nite.
The weight was taken with a Rapala digital scale, and length was with a Stanley pocket tape measure.

In the pic you see a yellow and white bait bucket - it measures 12" from top to bottom with the lid on. - compare it to the fish.

Also, I an 6'5" tall - compare me to the fish.

If you want to measure the bucket for yourself for comparison, that CAN be arranged!

Gather your information before calling another member a liar.

thats still no 32#! the mouth and head is way to small! just saying!
2011/03/13 22:58:27
wayne c
"but please don't hold them by there gills."

Didnt want to sound like a know it all, or trying to reprimand anyone, but I agree that is VERY GOOD advice. Ive seen lots of pics of guys holdin' flats like that and possibly the fish no worse for wear. But its easy to slip the fingers into the gills and they are EASILY damaged. There is a perfect handle on a flathead, and thats the mouth. The blood coming from the gills in the pic shows that its much safer for the fish to hold by the mouth. The fish will not hurt ya, it aint a musky. A fish that size is a very old fish, and a very good breeder, and not a "common" fish in Pa systems. A true "trophy". Please be careful with them!

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account