2019/03/09 11:57:56
bigfoot
Interesting enough I looked for a pattern for this fly yesterday. Remembered years ago while fishing the fly area of little Mahoning creek in Indiana county, I came across an Ol' timer who was using an interesting rig. He had two picket pins tied on,  followed up with a wooly bugger. He was using sink tip fly line and if I remember correctly the leader and tippet total length was very short. He said he used both black and olive buggers, and that was all he ever fished with. I asked him about keeping them from tangling and he said he wold buy packs of snelled hooks, cut off the hooks and use  that short piece of line to tie on the pins as droppers off the main leader. 
Double taper, gone but not forgotten.
2019/03/16 09:10:43
JinxPA
Hey bigfoot I have used the picket pin in early and late spring with great success on both the Little Mahoning and the Project waters of Laurel Hill.
2019/03/18 10:00:09
bigfoot
JinxPA
Hey bigfoot I have used the picket pin in early and late spring with great success on both the Little Mahoning and the Project waters of Laurel Hill.

Thanks for the info. I have yet to fish the Laurel hill.
2019/03/18 19:06:38
JinxPA
Yeah I fish the section down by Humbert where it runs through the State game lands.  Easy access at the game lands parking lot but can get crowded depending on weather and how hot it is, locals like to swim the big hole under the bridge.  Productive water or used to be the whole stretch to the lower end but didn't get a chance to fish it last year so not sure how it has changed. Mayfly hatches are sporadic except for Sulphur's and Slate Drakes come off (or used to) in good numbers. I've always done good on soft hackles and ants along the banks.  Hope you get a chance to check it out.  The section near the state park by the boy scout camp I haven't fished in a few years but it can be good in early to late spring or evenings in summer.

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account