2012/01/14 21:41:46
Sergeant Major
Today at about 3pm I decided to check the ice conditions on Lake Wilhelm. I started by boat launch 1 and found that the edge of the lake was soft but showing signs of freezing but the lake is frozen the whole way across. I then traveled to the stump area and found the slush on the edge was very thick but did not support any weight. I will be checking it every day. I have hope we could be fishing by the end of the week. I decided to start helping with the information flow due to the many great informational postings I have read in these forums. I also fish Pyme and Shanango and I will give reports when I am there. I hope this helps and by the way. Yes, there is alot of shad and small pan fish in Lake Wilhelm but last year through the ice I caught alot of 10 in plus crappie. The best half day I had with my son we each caught well over 100 crappies and took 68 home that were all over 10 inches with the largest at 14. My friends are going to give me a hard time about posting that. I just want you to keep your options open.
2012/01/14 22:02:19
nw/jigmaster
Welcome Aboard S Maj. ...NW/
2012/01/14 22:05:19
Sergeant Major
Thanks.
2012/01/15 00:23:26
slabdaddy
Thank God! I wish that I had known about this site last year. It's a 1.5 hr trip for me to get there and last year I wasted 2 trips out there because Fergie's bait shop has no idea what is going on with the ice on that lake. Twice they told me that the ice was good and I showed up to find 3-4 foot of open water between the shore and the ice. The one good day that I had up there kinda made up for it though, with over a dozen 14"+ crappie on the ice and 23 more that were between 12 and 14. I threw back many 10-11" crappie that day. I hope to make it back this year, but I have serious doubts as to wheather or not I can find that spot again. I walked in blind and have no GPS or anything. I just got lucky.
2012/01/15 09:02:54
ToothyCritterGitter
slabdaddy, i have a good depth map of wilhelm. send me a pm.
2012/01/15 11:52:00
creel
Slabdaddy, check out iceshanty.com, great ice fishing site. log on like in here, has other states and almost all lakes in Pa.

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account