2012/01/02 13:58:41
troutguy
Instead of making a couple different threads I figured I'll just put it all in one....

I fished Lower Two Mile Run near Cranberry outside of Franklin for trout the second day of the season and did pretty good, but I noticed on the PFBC website it says they stock browns, bows, and brookies in there, but we fished it pretty hard most of the day and only caught bows and browns, same with everyone else. Do they really stock brooks in there?

Also the same with woodcock Creek near Meadville, fished it twice for trout just downstream of the outflow and only saw browns and bows, no brookies. Don't get me wrong I love rainbows and browns, just wondering why it says they stock brookies in both of those creeks but haven't caught or seen any caught.

One more question. I fished Little Sugar Creek right in Cochranton by the school this summer, only expecting to catch some chubs maybe(only caught 1, I still can't find a good chub stream!!) and someone just walking by says there are trout in there. I know the PFBC doesn't stock it, and its not on the natural reproduction list, so who stocks it? A local sportsmans club? I also heard from someone else that theres trout in there, but they didn't know who stocks them.

Thanks

2012/01/02 16:49:53
FishinGuy
Can't answer you're specific questions, but there are definately discrepancies in the online stocking list and what species they're actually putting in.
2012/01/02 17:31:09
troutguy
Yeah there could just be something wrong with the list. I noticed a different stream I fish often is only supposed to be stocked with rainbows in the fall, but have caught browns in the fall also(not holdovers, freshly stocked ones)
2012/01/11 13:20:09
drill4gills
little suger runs all the way out to tamarac tavern and on up that valley i fished there when they did stock it and i think that it supported a small population of native brookies because you wouldn't catch any brookies in the heavlly stocked portions only the remote sections that were really hard to get to . as to the other ? haven't a clue
2012/01/11 14:08:31
Pachuckles
Troutguy....They do stock Little Sugar just outside of Cochranton near the trailer park just off Rt.173 going towards Sugar Lake. The reason you catch trout under the bridge,near the high school, is they wash down stream clear into French Creek during high water in the spring. If your after Chubs fish under the R.R. bridge where Little Sugar emptys into French Creek. (about 1/4 mile down stream from the bridge near the school)
2012/01/11 15:31:02
troutguy
Thanks. Who stocks it? About the the brookies, its not on the natural reproduction list though. I may need to do some exploring....
2012/01/12 05:56:54
Pachuckles
Little Sugar is stocked by the PFBC.
2012/01/12 14:57:53
troutguy

ORIGINAL: Pachuckles

Really? According to the PFBC's website it isn't. Are we talking about the same little Sugar? There's also a Little Sugar that goes into Sugar Creek north of Cooperstown, but the one I'm talking about is the one that goes into French Creek right in Cochranton.
2012/01/12 15:17:55
Pork
ORIGINAL: troutguy

ORIGINAL: Pachuckles

Really? According to the PFBC's website it isn't. Are we talking about the same little Sugar? There's also a Little Sugar that goes into Sugar Creek north of Cooperstown, but the one I'm talking about is the one that goes into French Creek right in Cochranton.

Sure it is....Stocking list
...pick 'Crawford', and then 'go'...
Little Sugar's the 5th entry down the list...

Little Sugar into Cochranton is stocked...
upper limit - way up by East Oil creek road, lower limit - mouth in cochranton.

But the Little Sugar that flows into Sugar north of Cooperstown isn't.
Although Sugar itself is, upper limit - bridge on Center road, lower limit, bridge on Wright road. (14th entry down the list)

If that's not confusing enough, I could try harder.
2012/01/12 16:48:33
troutguy
Ok thanks,my bad. Maybe I should of actually checked the trout stocking list. But it according to the county guide on the PFBC site its not an approved trout water, thats what made me think it wasn't stocked, probably just something wrong with the map.

Wow, so all of the few times I went up to my camp I traveled at least 30min, and in some cases 1hr and 30min to catch trout, when I could of pretty much walked to Little Sugar.

I feel very stupid haha

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account