2012/01/20 16:21:23
JUSTGOTAWAY...AGAIN
I'm new to relatively new to pike fishing. I've seen a few at the shallow area that leads to the overflow at the dam. Got a musky over there last spring as well.

I've read that you can catch pike in the winter. I know you can get them when ice fishing, but I have a few questions for when there is no ice.

1. Can you catch them from shore during the winter?

2. If you can, are there any good spots? Jamestown Marina?

3. What can you catch below the dam at the outflow? I've heard musky and pike are in there.

Thanks ahead of time.

2012/01/20 18:22:03
bigbob
i am fairly sure that pymatuning doesn't have pike in it. musky yes, but not sure about pike. at the outflow i have seen musky caught. i can remember when i was young that we would catch pike just down past the the little waterfall area.
2012/01/20 18:32:26
frost
There have been very few pike caught. They were dumped in by fisherman years ago they are not a stocked fish of Pymy. If your looking for pike go to either conneaute or Shenango river below Shenango itself not below Pymy.
2012/01/20 18:46:59
troutguy
I don't know about the lake, but the outflow of pyma dam(upper Shenango River) does have pike in it(or at least 1). I caught a pretty nice one a few years ago just down from the footbridge around the downed trees. I also hooked a big musky there once but it was a long distance release. There's a little jump across trib that comes in just down from the footbridge, one day a saw a small musky hanging out in there.

This spring in the river below the Shenango dam I caught a small pike, and I know people catch muskies in there also. I fish there quite a bit in the spring and summer and catch tons of fish of all kinds, but I only got 1 pike there so far.
2012/01/22 12:45:01
CAPTAIN HOOK
If your looking for Pike only, your best bet is Shenango Lake and Shenango River. Both carry good numbers of Pike. Most Pike average around the 20" - 25" range but larger ones can be caught. The upper Shenango ( Pymy ) as well as the lower Shenango ( Sharpsville )are both good holding areas for Northerns. Spring time is usually prime time for targeting Pike. My best was around 35" many years ago  out of the lake. Here are a few past photos of my son with some river Pike.                                                                                                                                                              
2012/01/22 12:48:00
Big Tuna
P.I. Erie is a good choice.
2012/01/22 14:05:47
CAPTAIN HOOK

2012/01/23 19:34:17
mymuskyateyourbass
I've never caught a pike at pyme and I have put in a lot of time throwing and trolling
2012/01/23 19:48:48
SmMouthSeeker
Me neither, but who am I to argue?
2012/01/23 19:52:53
JUSTGOTAWAY...AGAIN
SmMouthSeeker,

Thanks for your response in the Southwest PA area.

I am going to try for musky below the Pymatuning dam in the stream some time in the next week. Do you have any suggestions for lures. I generally don't fish with live bait, and I'm new to musky and pike fishing.

Thanks ahead of time for your help.

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account