2012/02/05 11:04:08
troutguy
Yesterday my brother and I fished Two Mile Run for trout, and we were pleasantly suprised. We caught around 25 brook trout(give or take a few) all on white wooly buggers, Gulp minnows, or live minnows which produced the most fish. We fished in the boat launch area and the whole northern part of the lake was ice free, there were even a couple of boats out throughout the day. Most of the fish we caught were in the morning from around 7 to 12, I even saw a bunch of fish, but we took a break for lunch and to get more bait and then went back to the lake and only caught 4 or 5 more, didn't even see any more swimming around, so they must of moved out to deeper water. All in all it was a pretty good day out fishing!

Attachment(s)

Attachments are not available: Download requirements not met
2012/02/05 12:30:05
Pachuckles
Yup,....They were just freshly stocked trout. PFBC puts them in about this time every year.
2012/02/05 12:50:02
troutguy
Yeah they were just stocked on Friday I think..
2012/02/05 14:51:33
psu_fish
I fished it Friday after work and then again Saturday morning. Friday night the brookies were hitting anything u could throw at em. Saturday little more picky, but still good. Not too often do you get open water this time of year in Venango County.

Justus Lake gets it winter allotment of Brook Trout every year right about first week of Feb. The rainbows will be added for the April opener.

This male had really good color and fins for a stockie:

2012/02/05 17:59:10
ready2fish
I was there when they stocked and for a little while Saturday morning, never wet a line.

Saturday, I had my gear with me, and 2 dozen minnies. I watched for about 15 minutes from the truck and frankly I was sickened by what I saw.

Why?

There was a lady sitting in a wheel chair right at the boat launch, between the floating docks. Her companion (husband probably?) was fishing close by. They didn't appear to be having much success. Pepole on both sides of them were catching fish.

What fumed me was when other "anglers" would cast in front of this disabled person, not offer any help, fish in front of her on the dock she was closest to, all the while fish were being caught around her.

They didn't appear to have any minnows so I gave them mine, then got back into the truck and departed.

I was glad my 5 year old couldn't go.......

2012/02/06 15:23:15
troutguy
Some of the people I talked to said the fishing was much better Friday evening, but I still caught a ton on Sat. And yeah there were some nice colored up fish in there, along with the regular bland colored stockies. The pic attached was the first fish I caught Sat morning.

There was a lady sitting in a wheel chair right at the boat launch, between the floating docks. Her companion (husband probably?) was fishing close by. They didn't appear to be having much success. Pepole on both sides of them were catching fish.

What fumed me was when other "anglers" would cast in front of this disabled person, not offer any help, fish in front of her on the dock she was closest to, all the while fish were being caught around her.

They didn't appear to have any minnows so I gave them mine, then got back into the truck and departed.

I was glad my 5 year old couldn't go.......

I must of arrived after they left, I didn't see anyone in a wheel chair, but if I was there to whitness it I would of definitely been sickened too, that's just horrible. True sportsmen who have already caught a bunch would help others that aren't having any luck catch fish, and true sportsmen would definitely not cast infront of a disabled person to catch fish.

Oh and btw, a WCO kicked some people who were fishing on the boat launch docks off, idk if they were fined or not, but there is clearly a sign on both docks saying "NO fishing from boat docks" there's even another sign that says there's a fine. I don't get some people.

Attachment(s)

Attachments are not available: Download requirements not met
2012/02/06 15:46:00
FishinGuy
Purdy fish
2012/02/06 16:41:51
stumpkiller
I was there Friday when they stocked it. Fish warden Mark, and the park manager told the guys it was ok to fish from the docks that the signs were left over from summer boating season. They were put up because people were fishing from the docks and not moving for the boaters as they were putting there boats in and out.

Took my boy there Sat. and fished up by the inlet, caught 4. Different warden Sat. kicked the guys off the docks, no fines, said he need to have something in writing from the park otherwise he was enforcing it. Typical lack of comuntication.

Yes I was very upset about the conduct of the other so called sportsmen also.
2012/02/06 21:52:59
ready2fish
Yep, lack of communication. I was also there Friday for the conversation about the docks and fishing from them this time of year.

I understand cabin fever this time of year. Guys wanna get out and catch fish, I understand that. But there were guys catching fish after fish, all the while some others (including kids and the disabled person) were having almost zero success, maybe in part due to the way that area is silted in and there only being specific areas deep enough to hold the fish. I just think it would have been more appropriate for the successful anglers to allow some others to move in for awhile and also have some success, or maybe offer up some help in some way.

I was also there Sunday, not an angler at the launch, no fish either. I had my daughter there for about 1/2 an hour, no fish seen, no bites.
Between the pounding they took on Friday and Saturday, and natural dispersement, the fish went on their way to be musky food.
The good is that there was less ice, much lake is almost ice free. Won't be long and I can get the boat in for some early crappies.

2012/02/06 22:08:04
psu_fish
Between the Brookies that get stocked in the winter and Rainbows right before the April opener..the musky's are well fed.

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account