2012/01/03 10:45:20
slab nabbit

ORIGINAL: frost

The north end will be froze by tomorrow. It's been frozen 3 times already so the water is cold, especially with the temps they're calling for. If the lows stay in the 20's and the highs in the low to mid 30's it'll be good to go soon. We will be fishing soon!

The 10 day forecast has 5 daytime temps above freezing and only one low above freezing. 17 tonight 17 tomorrow and 14 tomorrow night it's gonna freeze

We hunted waterfowl on the north end of the lake via boat every weekend since the beginning of the season.We never encountered ice at any of the boat ramps we use. The coldest water temp I recorded so far was 36 degrees on Christmas day on the Ohio side for a quick morning duck hunt. We actually had some form of south wind for 12 weeks in a row(S,SE,SW).Christams day was 15 MP out of the SW. We also hunted during the week a few times during the season. I never saw any ice, maybe a little slush in a back bay or two. The wind is rocking the lake hard. With temps predicted on weather . com for Linesville/Andover OH of highs on Friday of 42 degrees and mid to upper 30's and mostly sunny(sun still heats open water even if cold) thru 01/12 with the winds again predicted coming from a mostly south direction it will be very hard to get any good ice formation at all. Heres the weather link:

http://www.weather.com/weather/tenday/USOH0024?role=

A couple nights of teen temps just isn't gonna do it. Cross your fingers for clear, cold,still nights and if there is going to be wind, you definately want it out of the North not the south. That will hopefully get the ice fishing started.
2012/01/03 10:50:00
loby
Glad I still have my boat ready! Was out on Christmas eve, South end......
2012/01/03 17:05:46
frost
The north end was frozen the last week of duck season, I want to say the 12th, I was walking on the ice at the north end. It was 1 1/2" or so. Wasn't enough to fish on by any means, but I'm 230 and walked on it breaking through once in a 200yd area. It took me jumping on it to bust up a hole for the ducks.

Drove past the spillway this morning and the whole bay was filled with slush. Wind was definitely ripping so the main lake was still open. From the big island to hartstown-linesville road was slushed up also from the island slowing the wind.
2012/01/04 12:44:33
Ymesss
ORIGINAL: frost

North end was iced up but south was open. It warmed up last night and has been raining, so I'm going to say you'll be good to go. Almost all the snow has melted even. Just check the wind for up here cause we have been having some really windy days, like 20+ mph days.

Thanks... ended up fishing the north end but the skis wouldnt bite...
2012/01/04 14:12:37
frost
I know this is a Pymy topic, but I just have to add this. Conneaute was iced up for about 3-400yds out on the south end near the condos and marina. I know it's not much, but it's a start. Now if only it would stay could! Temp last night at midnight said 2 deg. If it would only stay like that.
2012/01/04 22:22:52
eyeassassin
accuweather 15 day forcast has temps from day 8 to 15 going down into the 20's for highs and sigle digits for the lows. Shouldnt be long now
2012/01/05 10:38:53
Pachuckles
frost...sent PM
2012/01/05 10:45:41
Pachuckles
Come on ol'man winter.....I'm ready to try anything. Got cabin fever BAD.
Just wonder if I could fish at either Jamestown or Espy marinas?
How deep would the water be off the end of the docks?
Would there be lots of weeds or would it be too shallow?
2012/01/05 11:29:43
Ymesss
ORIGINAL: Pachuckles

Come on ol'man winter.....I'm ready to try anything. Got cabin fever BAD.
Just wonder if I could fish at either Jamestown or Espy marinas?
How deep would the water be off the end of the docks?
Would there be lots of weeds or would it be too shallow?

Try the outflow... but it has been slow there lately, atleast for me.
2012/01/05 11:51:40
Pachuckles
Ymesss...another Cochranton guy.
I'll send you a PM.

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account