2012/02/28 18:56:01
Hofadam52
So last year I bought a nice ultra light rod at cabelas with a Sedona reel for trout fishing. I have had a great time fishing with it its such a smooth set up and very sensitive(love sensitivity when fighting trout). But this spring I have a decision to make do I take the rod crappie fishing at pymie(it's 5foot 6inches) I feel like this would be a great rod to catch crappies on. The only delema is that we tend to pick up walleyes when fishing for crappies i cant complain about that lol but I don't no if 1. The rod can take the fight of a walleye and 2. If the rod holds up and doesn't break will it be negatively affected by all of the pressure? I'm probably thinking to much of it but I love this set up and wouldn't want to ruin it. any opinions would be appriciated
Adam
2012/02/28 19:10:42
streamerfisher1
ive caught anything from perch to a 40 inch muskie on an ultralight while crappie fishing and never hurt the rod so in my opinion no
2012/02/28 20:13:37
NeFiShNeTiMe
Sounds like a better perch rod than a crappie rod. But I don't think it would hurt it. The reel should have a drag use it. . .
2012/02/28 20:33:51
wade alexander
just get an ugly stick...that way your wife cant even break it
2012/02/28 21:29:17
frost
I used to use a 5' and 5'6" ultra light rod for all my fishing and not one had a problem with it. I have caught everything on them to include 100's of carp at the spillway, 6+lb walleyes, musky (not actually targeted them with these rods), and multiple 10+lb wiper's out of moraine and Pymy, plus trout and pan fish. You will not have a problem with the occasional eye caught with it. As said before just adjust the drag on the real. My ultra lights were always strung with 8lb fireline. I still use them for drift fishing for eyes at Pymy. Only time I don't use them is trolling and wading.
2012/02/28 22:38:11
anatikus
hofadam, id say its a matter of personal preference.....ive landed big fish on my 5' u.l. rods (it is a matter of know how) but only use them for creek fishing now. I found that with 7'ers i could cast further from shore, fight a good fish around an anchor rope, drift sock or boat motor....and i could target ANY size fish from gillies to muskies with a simple spool change.
2012/02/29 05:50:16
Jefff
I moved from a 5'6" UL to a 6'6" med light, love it
2012/02/29 07:07:29
Hofadam52
Good point anatikus I forgot the importance of being able to fight a fish around the motor and drift sock
I take that for granit with my ugly stick but I'm probly gonna take out the ultra light the drag is there for a reason
2012/02/29 09:05:27
dakotab
You'll be fine. I sometimes take my 5'6" Gander Mountain IM8 Pro Select Guide series UL steelhead fishing.

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account