2012/02/27 20:05:44
SmMouthSeeker
My dad and me used to fish there for a number of years and we did ok, a lot of fun times. I've been thinking about going back.
2012/02/27 21:40:35
steelhound
That's one of my go too's. Within ten miles from my house and home to some of my favorite fish.
Those were some nice wipers
2012/02/28 12:37:50
woodenbobber
I agree it's a gem.
Wading there in the summer is like a box of chocolates... you never know what you are gonna catch
I love going in July- the cat fishing is fun....one after the other.....
2012/02/28 13:31:49
Accountant
how does this compare to fishing the outflow at connemaugh? similar?

as everyone else mentioned, great pics. is it wwarm outside yet?
2012/02/28 15:24:07
woodenbobber
Patience grasshopper
Don't wish your life away
Fishing season is coming
2012/02/28 16:30:20
troutguy
Wading there in the summer is like a box of chocolates... you never know what you are gonna catch

+1 In the summer there I've caught Smallmouths, largemouths, crappie, gills, perch, white bass, hybrids, cats, eyes, carp, suckers, pike, a rock bass, a green sunfish, and I even caught a trout in July two years ago.
2012/03/01 23:28:12
CAPTAIN HOOK
Not trying to brag it up just like taking lots of photos and posting for others to enjoy. We are very fortunate to have this variety of fishing in our back yard. Here are more Shenango photos over the past seasons for those of you that never saw Shenango River.
2012/03/02 06:46:33
NeFiShNeTiMe
Nice pics
2012/03/02 08:23:49
doubletaper
i grew up fishing the river and above the dam in my younger days. brought back memories, thanks capt.
caught lots of channel cats, trout and the occasional huge carp in the river. caught my first crappie on a popper in there. first walleye on a fly rod! actually canoed from the dam downsteam a good piece. caught huge fish we couldn't even get to the boat.
2012/03/20 21:56:33
Shake n Bake
I've been camping up there for the past 6 years and found the river to be an excellent place to catch just about anything that swims. Over the years my dad and I have caught everything from muskies to bluegills. I even caught a turtle the day. We mostly fish the other part of the river, near Big Bend. We usually just take the canoe and paddle along with a rapala out the back. This seems to work for every fish in there...including a very large carp about 2 years ago. We found that the river is a great smallmouth fishery from our campground down to the Hamburg Rd bridge, then it seems to just shut off after that til we get to Big Bend. I catch tons of wipers out of the river, as well as the lake. All in all Shenango is an awesome place to fish.

Captain I'd love to know what you use to catch the walleyes. That's the one fish I just can't seem to catch and you seem to really know what you're doing. Nice fish!

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account