2012/03/24 20:19:55
troutguy
The lake at Buhl Park in Sharon, PA. I decided to fish there today for a little while, and after having a pretty good day fishing one of the park rangers pulled up and told me there is no fishing allowed there anymore. Theres no signs or anything so I didn't know. We didn't really talk much, but he said they are draining the lake for some reason and the people in charge of the park decided to make it off limits to fishing all of this year. There was also a father and son fishing there that seemed to be having a great time, but they were told no fishing too. At least the ranger was nice about it and he really seemed sad about telling people not to fish, but that's his job. I'm not sure if it will reopen or not.

The lake is small and I never caught any big fish there, but it was always a great place to take the fly rod or ultralight spinning rod and catch and release a ton of small gills, crappie, and the occasional small largemouth. This is the only lake that I know that has a decent population of bullheads, and I always seem to pick up one or two. It was also a great place to take the kids, easy access and easy to catch fish. And it's very close to home.

I only fish it a handfull of times a year, but I will truly miss it. Lots of good memories.

Anyone else know what's going to happen with the lake?
2012/03/24 21:33:21
redneck steel
I havent fished buhl park since I was a kid  There were never any signs about a "fishing season" but we were always told no fishing until the first day of trout.  Still doesnt make much sense but whatever.  There are alot of small crappies in there and a few true slabs.  Always the last week of may was when the biggest crappies were caught.  And I will never forget the day, if memory serves me correct, it was April 23rd my buddy and I were  throwing 1/8oz spinnerbaits and he pulled in a 22.5 inch walleye.  They have drained that lake in the past but since I dont fish there anymore I tend not to worry about the lake. 
2012/03/25 14:38:44
CAPTAIN HOOK
Back in the day we were only permitted to fish on the cement walkways and the wooden dock area. The park ranger would drive around and we would sneak to the oppisite side of the lake and fish the bank areas till he chased us back. We would catch lots of small Largemouths on spinners. In the 60's that lake had a lot of seaweed beds but it was crystal clear and loaded with Sunfish and Bluegills ! Hope it stays open in the future and gets restocked with the basic pond fish................great memories !
2012/03/26 10:45:31
sugarfuzz12
they are rebuilding the dam
2012/03/26 12:05:56
CAPTAIN HOOK
Buhl Park Lake..........

Attachment(s)

Attachments are not available: Download requirements not met

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account