2012/03/28 09:56:24
anatikus
you wouldnt believe the monsters ive found dead on the shore of Erie near elk creek...some were 2 to 3ft long.
2012/03/28 10:16:50
dakota kid
Hellbinders are considered endangered as far as I know, so I would recommend a strict catch and release. I bet they do make nice musky bait though.
2012/03/28 12:01:33
Snag_826
i dont think thats a hellbender. Looks more like a reg ol' mud puppy. Hellbenders are usually waayyyy more wrinkled and flat looking.
2012/03/28 12:12:33
TastyTrout

ORIGINAL: Snag_826

i dont think thats a hellbender. Looks more like a reg ol' mud puppy. Hellbenders are usually waayyyy more wrinkled and flat looking.

I'd agree with you.
2012/03/28 13:32:58
anatikus
The monsters if found in Erie were hellbenders...they were much bigger, had rounded faces...and were much more wrinkley looking. As far as ive seen, mud puppies have frilly red gills...although the pic dosnt show it, id bet he did.
2012/03/28 18:30:51
Dr. Trout
I have been e-mailing a guy at DCNR who is doing study on hellbenders in the Clarion... he seems to agee that this is a mudpuppy NOT a hellbender . he states a mudpuppy and a hellbender are 2 different creatures...

He did say he was happy to hear I safely returned both to the river after removing the hook...that most anglers just hit them against a rock or the ground until they come off the hook....

here's what I caught further North in 2010..

2012/03/28 20:21:35
guzzman
good old waterdog...always used to take our chubs.caught many in neshannock and slippery rock creek.also at Utica.
2012/03/28 20:56:42
LDD

ORIGINAL: wirenut45

true story: my dad(born 1896), cousin Tut(1898),&thier uncle Walt would take a horse ,n, buggyfrom New Bethlehem to Belltown on the CLARION R. &camp for up to 2 wks.stop at every farm looking for a dead calf(no roadkill then),put it & a stone in burlap bag &sink in river.levve over nite. next day ,pull in, open bag,open calf, have enough mudpuppies for muskie bait for whole trip. put m.p. under cork (yes real cork) float,and wait. dad said caught lots. this was abt. 1912,before Piney Dam ,musky made spawning run up cl. and resident pop. in river all yr.he said musky,s loved mudpuppies. maybe like walleyes ,n, leeches? personally, i,m not brave enough to handle one(mp)by hand, but those old guys were pretty rough cobs back then.

That's a great story, thanks for sharing...
2012/03/29 08:18:50
wirenut45
i see in the regs. online that BOTH the EASTERN HELLBENDER and MUDPUPPIES are protected and/or threatened ,so be sure to return them to water unharmed.just a heads up for all as i didn,t know this and don,t want anyone getting in trouble with law.(may also be fed. rule?)
2012/03/29 22:26:48
Dr. Trout
The guy from DCNR has been telling me one reason for the study is that the water quality has to be very good for a good mudpuppy or hellbender population... so the fact I have caught a few has shown him new areas that the quality must be good.

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account