2019/06/24 17:18:58
350Z&Steelheads
Came to visit last weekend to work on camp and fished for walleye on Sunday. While there I noticed that you are no longer allowed to throw fish cleaning trash in the dumpster at Walnut.

Anyone know another place public is allowed to dump guts and carcass?

BTW, 3 limits in 4 hours. Water and weather was as perfect as anyone could ask for.

(Please forgive me for posting this in 2 sections. The other should be deleted)
2019/07/11 10:55:55
Lucky13
In NYS it has been illegal to dump fish or fish parts within 100 feet of the water's edge for quite some time.  You put the fillets in a bag and keep them on ice, right?  Collect the "fish waste" and put it in its own bag in the same cooler, then put it in your trash when you get home.  Or bury it in the garden, Native American fertilizer.  Have not had any problems with the ECO's with this technique, and I don't pay 5 bux a fish to have someone else clean it either.   Of course, I am rarely dealing with 3 limits in 4 hours!
2019/07/11 11:10:31
350Z&Steelheads
Lucky,
Years back when we went to NY there were official "mulch" locations that would accept the trash.  Not sure if they still exist.

In Erie PA it was very convenient to have dumpster for public use.  Now taking trash home is extra work...that's all.

In a couple weeks we will be dong a bigger trip, 2 boats and probably 8 fishermen for 3 days.  Potential for a lot as trash to haul home. :)
2019/07/16 10:01:00
Lucky13
We came up from a spot on the Salmon River back in the days of "mulch piles " (I live here in NY and never saw one), to find 2 PA anglers cleaning their salmon to go in the 150 + gallon cooler they had on a shelf on the front of their camper.  We had both become ill on arrival at 4:30 am because the stench of decaying fish was so thick.  When these guys finished with a fillet pair, the rest of the remains were thrown in the bushes.  When we said something to them about the neighbors and the stench and they by then swarming yellow jackets, they replied that they didn't care, they were headed back to PA that day. I commented that they had better find another place to access the river, because that spot would for sure be posted after the mess and stench created.  Sure enough, the following year, the spot was rocked off, no parking no trespassing, and a year or so after that Douglaston, and pay tp play fish cleaning stations.  I worked with people from the NYS Conservation Council to get the fish littering bill passed, lots of non fishers were up in arms about discarded salmon guts, or in the spring, whole suckers thrown around with no consideration for those who live nearby, and lots of possible access loss issues.  Since that time most all municipal parks have adopted a "you carry in you carry out" policy, and no trash cans are provided.  Once in a while a mess gets created by a real pig, but for the most part upstate New Yorkers are realizing that they are responsible for their own trash, fish related or otherwise. 
2019/07/16 10:03:35
Lucky13
350Z&Steelheads
Lucky
In a couple weeks we will be dong a bigger trip, 2 boats and probably 8 fishermen for 3 days.  Potential for a lot as trash to haul home. :)

Buy a bigger cooler!
2019/07/16 11:03:34
350Z&Steelheads
yup...bigger cooler and more trash bags.

I do find that bagging the remains and then putting into a cooler works out to be a lot cleaner.  At least holds down the smell longer.
2019/07/17 16:16:23
bubbaman
I fully believe in taking your trash home with you if there is no safe place to place it . but in order to difuse landowner hassles why cant the fish commission have a dumpster at walnut ?
2019/08/13 08:26:16
Lucky13
Do you want to live down wind of that dumpster when it gets emptied once a week and it is over 90°? ( just hypothetical, but a pile of dead fish smell just as bad when they are in the dumpster as when they are just thrown in the bushes.)  If you are causing "landowner hassles" by placing your trash somewhere near where you are fishing, maybe you are part of the reason for all the new posted signs on LE tribs.
2019/08/14 04:22:26
bassackwards
"Do you want to live down wind of that dumpster when it gets emptied once a week and it is over 90°?"

lol......that is funny. The answer is NO. 

I had the privilege of staying at Four C's Marina in Point Breeze in a small cabin next to a dumpster. I know first hand how bad it smells in July! People were not supposed to dump remains in the dumpster, but I watched dozens of trucks drive up and toss them in. The dumpster sat right on the road. We complained, and a lovely woman named Louis called to get the dumpster dumped, and they moved it further into the facility. They ended up locking their dumpster.  

Fact is, no one wants to deal with your fish remains. Hell, they can't keep the grass mowed in the parks, let alone cater to other peoples trash. Take in, take out. The price of your fishing license doesn't fund the state to be on garbage duty.   

I remember when everyone on Lake Ontario either ground the fish remains at the "public grinder", or drove the remains back in the lake to dump. We used to fish all day, come back to the cabin and fillet them, then load back in the boat and drive to 500 FOW and throw them out. Even the charter captains did this (that is where I learned to do it). There is a reason they finally made it illegal. I would not go into the grinders because people are slobs. No one hosed down the grinder afterward, and most left trash. The grinder houses smelled like a bus full of hookers. 

I fillet, put the guts in a garbage bag, and toss it in the deep-freezer until trash day. Trash day comes, I put it in the can. For one, the garbage man doe not have to smell it, I don't have to smell it, my garbage cans don't smell like it. My wife didn't like it at first, but once she realized how clean was, she prefers I do it that way. 

I tried the fertilizer route....the cats loved it, and we still had to smell it.  
2019/08/14 07:55:09
holly107
a few campgrounds have freezers put on the grounds i heard at one time a guy not sure who comes and empty them for a mink farm business I think I was told he supplied the freezer. but I know its a great idea.

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account