2012/04/24 23:03:13
Josh7388
i want to get a good musky set up for casting mostly, id like a baitcasting setup...any suggestions

thanks
2012/04/24 23:18:55
outasync
st croix rod with a abu garcia revo toro winch 60 or 61 if you prefer left handed baitcasters
2012/04/25 09:31:38
Bigpikeguy
How much you wanna spend???
2012/04/25 09:53:20
Ymesss
Just bought a Shimano 400 series Cardiff reel seems nice for the price of 100 bucks. Any musky rated pole will do for your first pole, can be had for around 100 bucks. So for about 230 bucks (includes line) you could have a setup that works well.

Another option is the pete maina bass pro shops reel. My buddy has one, likes it alot.
2012/04/25 10:43:50
BoroMusky
7-8.5 foot heavy-action bait-casting rods. the more you pay, normally the better the rod is. the longer the rod is, longer the cast, typically better action to the baits, and easier and more effective figure 8's. If throwing big and nasty baits like double cowgirls and bulldawgs, you may want to consider a rod that is fairly flexible to absorb some of the weight, it'll save your fore-arms in the long run. And def make sure it has a long butt/handle on the end of it. at least 15 inches. makes all the difference
2012/04/25 13:19:17
dealinsteel

ORIGINAL: BoroMusky

If throwing big and nasty baits like double cowgirls and bulldawgs, you may want to consider a rod that is fairly flexible to absorb some of the weight, it'll save your fore-arms in the long run.

I've actually found that to be the opposite from what you stated. If you fish bigger stuff like that, I would suggest getting a stiffer rod. A bulldog is a jig, at times you are jerking/hopping the bait during the retrieve. A flexible rod will do nothing but negate half of your effort, where as with a stiffer rod you will have more feel to tell what you're bumping, and more power to drive the hook home with those rubber baits. Just my opinion though... It's best to match the tool with the job you'd wish to achieve.
2012/04/25 13:23:30
dealinsteel
and I would suggest (again, my opinion), if you're just starting out, look into the Okuma EvX series of rods. They are reasonably priced (~$110), come with a lifetime insurance policy (a phone call and $15 shipping = brand new rod) and they are made well. I own 3 of them and have had them for the last 4 years. I broke the tip on one and sent it back, had a new one within a month. They didn't even ask if it was my own fault or not
2012/04/25 14:37:03
anzomcik

ORIGINAL: dealinsteel

ORIGINAL: BoroMusky

If throwing big and nasty baits like double cowgirls and bulldawgs, you may want to consider a rod that is fairly flexible to absorb some of the weight, it'll save your fore-arms in the long run.

I've actually found that to be the opposite from what you stated. If you fish bigger stuff like that, I would suggest getting a stiffer rod. A bulldog is a jig, at times you are jerking/hopping the bait during the retrieve. A flexible rod will do nothing but negate half of your effort, where as with a stiffer rod you will have more feel to tell what you're bumping, and more power to drive the hook home with those rubber baits. Just my opinion though... It's best to match the tool with the job you'd wish to achieve.

+1

My suggestion look for a rod rated for 12-16 oz baits. A good stout rod can be used for almost evey bait in a musky fishermans box. That way you will never be undergunned. I use my Toothtamer jaw breaker it is XXXH action rated for 48oz baits, I can throw bass spinner baits with it if needed.

Remember the rod and reel will be only a drop in the bucket compaired to the price of all the baits you will buy. Average musky bait is about $20. So better check your budget before you invest alot of money in musky gear, and be prepaired to go days weeks or months (i haerd some people going years) between fish.
2012/04/25 17:15:27
wade alexander
depends on what lures you are going to be using...
muskies hit bucktails under an ounce and big hunks of plastic that weight over a pound...

your gunna end up with two rods and reels at least, or wishing you did like alot of guys, unless you are really partial to only using a few lures, which you might be i dont know.

it sure would be nice to have a rod for every situation but i dont
i have been happy with a 8 foot fenwick rated 2-8 ounces which is about all i throw, although ive been using a 6'6 rod lately because i fish rivers alot and was to lazy to fix an eye on some other rods and i ended up really liking the short pole too

i dont care for really stiff rods cuz they suck to cast and i dont think your helping yourself any when you get a hit, but its probably more about having your drag set correctly and hooks sharpened. but if your rods bending when you jerk or retreive thats not good either.

small lures your probably better off with a bigger bass reel like a curado 300 size "i beat the crap out of one for a year,im suprised it still functions", bigger baits theres alot of options

i think how tall you are and where you fish"boat,river" and just trying different rods or feeling them in person would be your best bet.

~stiff rods and tight lines~ :P

2012/04/26 16:32:48
3006savage
For a casting setup I would go with the ABU Revo (or Revo winch for the reel if thowing big bladed bucktails.) You need the higher drag rating for trolling!!!!

For the rod I would go with the St Croix Mojo rod or Shimano Convergance that is good for at least 5 oz and at least 7 foot long. Line wise I go with 65 lbs or 80 LBS superbraid.

I am not a fan of super stiff rods and superbraid lines together. It is tough to keep the slack out of the line since there is so little bend in the rod and no line strech.

I bought a Gander mountain Pro Series rod for $40.00 on closout that was good for 1-5 lures, it has a Revo winch on it and I seem to use that setup 70% of the time I am casting since it is so light.

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account