2012/05/22 18:34:25
troutguy
Had a lot of fun out fishing this weekend.  Friday evening I fished French Creek a little bit.  Got one decent smallmouth and had another one on.  Caught on a jig w/ Gulp.

Saturday morning my brother and I headed up to give Woodcock Creek a try.  Ended up getting a bullhead, a bluegill, a decent perch, and a chub.  Saw a few muskies and little eyes right below the lake but they weren't interested in anything.  A little farther downstream I noticed some trout rising, so I got out the fly rod and had an aggressive hit on a dry right away but didn't hook it.  The fish were spooked after that, had a few more looks but that was it. 

After that we went to a few spots on the Geneva Swamp.  The first 2 spots produced a few small crappie, and the third spot I hooked into a nice bowfin but lost him at the bank.  The crappies hit streamers and the bowfin hit cut bait. 

Our next spot was Sugar Lake.  I had a thread on here last summer/fall with questions about it but never got to try it out until now.  Fished from shore infront of the hotel and caught a bunch of hungry little bluegills, and handful of crappie, and a decent bass.  Most of the fish were caught fly fishing with streamers, but the largemouth was caught on a crankbait.  Also spotted 2 pickerel hanging out in the weeds.  Next time I'm up there I definitely want to try to catch one of them.  On the PFBC website it says the lake has a great population of bullheads too, might want to try for them also next time. 

Usually when I'm up that way I go to the ANF to fish all those little creeks for wild brookies.  This time I decided to check out a different non-ANF creek.  I've fished this stream multiple times for stocked trout, but this time I tried out a different section for wilds and managed to catch two wild brookies.  Most of the wild trout in this stream are browns, so those brookies were a treat.  A great time was had!  With a busy summer I'm not sure how many times I'll be able to make it up that way again, but I can't wait till I do!

2012/05/22 21:00:54
slabdaddy
Those are some beautiful pics. You have a good eye with a camera. That last pic was very nice. Looks like a gorgeous stream.
2012/05/23 01:05:27
CRAPPIE_SLAYER
Really nice pics.  Those smallies on french creek can be a lot of fun.  My buddy got me into fishing for them last year during the summer, and while the fish weren't huge by any means, the sheer numbers we caught made it a blast.
2012/05/23 07:07:29
rippinlip
Nice.Thanks for sharing with us.
2012/05/23 19:27:50
troutguy
Thanks guys.  Yeah those smallies are a blast.  Haven't got into any big numbers, only catch one or two each time I fish it but haven't spent much time on it either or checked out any other spots on the creek yet. 
2012/05/23 19:29:13
smally hunter
nothing like seeing good pics from near my backyard lol ... this summer ill put on some of the pics from french ... i usually go every evening and it can be quite rewarding ... used to get anywhere from 5-20 of them smallies in little over an hour and a half ... light tackle and summer sunsets i can live there

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account