• Northwest PA
  • What is the success of fishing for Trout in the rain?
2012/05/06 16:55:51
Hefalump
I hate fishing in the rain... but the weather forecasts have me bummed!
Trying to work up the nerve to go camping and Trout fishing along Tionesta Creek next week for a few days. Am I sane thinking I will not catch anything when the water is like chocolate milk?
Timing and water levels seem to be everything. My gut says go for it regardless of forecasts.
Mike
2012/05/06 17:15:47
troutguy
I have always done good fishing in the rain, for trout and just about everything else. If the stream is in good shape and raining you should be able to catch some, but if the creek is blown out, unwadable, and chocolate milk the the fishing will probably be very poor regardless if it's raining or not.
2012/05/06 17:37:40
troutguy
Even if you do decide to go and Tionesta Creek it's too high and muddy you can always go to some of the smaller stocked or wild streams which clear quickly.
2012/05/06 20:11:54
SmMouthSeeker
I hate it when people tell me, "Fishing is better in the rain." No it's not. If the water level is low and clear, and a light rain starts, it may be good for a few minutes.

Go anyways. Just getting out of the house for the weekend is a vacation in itself. You can fish muddy water, but not if it's flowing to fast. Try hitting a lake around that area until conditions are more favorable to you or fish slower water.
2012/05/11 17:28:17
tire-iron
Usually a front is moving in when it is raining and in my experience, the fish shut down and hide.
2012/05/12 00:12:36
CRAPPIE_SLAYER
Have had fish turn on many times right when it starts. The creek we hit last year on the first day of trout was high and muddy. It ended up being pretty much a total downpour, but I caught 5 fish in the first 20 minutes using small redworm style jigs, then went and sat in the truck while my friends got wet
2012/05/12 01:11:18
smally hunter
ive had one of my best days ever last year on a blown out stockie stream ... caught about thirty browns or better fishing cover with crawlers ... hangups were a pain but ill lose a hook that cost me like 2 cents for the chance at a fiesty brown
2012/05/21 15:11:07
bigben7
ive  done pretty good in the rain for the most part. try throwing blue fox vibrax spinners if you think the water is too high and muddy
2012/05/22 17:18:19
World Famous
If the stream is rising quickly,fish go into survival mode and look to move to safe water.Best fishing is when the streams have stabilized and are beginning to come down. Trout relax when you cant see them...WF

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account