2012/06/12 08:26:31
opsman
New to this forum, looking for a little info.  I've fished nw pa and ne ohio for MANY years.  As I get older it gets to be less fun to go out and pick softshells!  Does anyone know of any bait shops in the nw pa area that sell softshells?  I know of a bunch of places up towards the Sandusky, Oh area but  really don't want the drive.  Any help would be appreciated.  Look forward to some forums, especially Pymatuning and the Allegheny River.  Thanks in advance.
2012/06/12 08:51:17
sprint219
Check your PMs!
2012/06/12 12:34:46
graveydavey
They don't have to be softshelled
2012/06/12 13:21:44
opsman
I will go to the allegheny with u. I will use soft you can use hard. Name the bet and bring your wallet! Lol. Been fishing it for forty years
2012/06/12 18:51:30
psu_fish
I'll bring Riffle Runners and run circles around you with soft shells 
2012/06/13 21:32:14
Big Tuna
Years ago I only fished soft craws at Erie,but sheepies and rock bass can eat and ruin quite a few,then I started to used small 1 1/2 to 2 plus inch hard craws,I took the claws off and did great,them I just got tired of picking or seining craws and went to ALL lures. Hard to beat 3'' grub tail on a 1/4 jig,deeper water jigging spoons or blade baits.Best day I ever had was a daylight to dark 15 hours on the big pond,no live bait at all  total 156 SM bass,myself. Many fish 18-22 inches.Hit it right,right day,right water temp,right wave chop,right moon. Never had a day like that but many 50-75 bass a day.Erie is the smallmouth capital.
2012/06/14 08:05:49
opsman
All in each person's preference.  I can generally float the Allegheny and catch 50 a day on softies.  I like the fact that I throw them off the bottom with a small split shot and don't have to cast my brains out all day.
Yeah, lose some, and have to battle carp, but then again, I like to rig them on a fly rod, and there's nothing like catching a 25lb plus carp on a fly rod.
I don't particularly like to eat fish, so everything goes back in.  Over the years, I'v gotten my fair share of 20-22 inch bass too, a few pike and walleye.  I've also had trips where I used hard vs soft, but by and large the softies win out.  Then again, for a really durable bait that will knock the smallmouth out, there's alway hellgramites!  Anyway, whatever your choice, good fishing!

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account