2012/06/04 17:59:45
fallscity1
Hey guys,
need some advice on a potential French Creek Float trip.
First off let me state that I'm a seasoned vet of floats on the Allegheny, Beaver, Shenango and Mahoning Rivers. Due to work and family(lil kids) my kayak has seen only duck hunts the last few years. I've got a few day hall pass I can cash in any time between June 21-30. My question is will FRENCH BE FLOATABLE AT THIS TIME OF YEAR?
One of my old fishin buddies and I are gonna go on a few day trip, and while I have never done French he has shore fished it in the past. Are we wasting our time trying to float with low flows of summer? Is there a DONT FLOAT height that I should watch for on the USGS French Creek at Meadville Gage?
http://waterdata.usgs.gov/pa/nwis/uv/?site_no=03023100&PARAmeter_cd=00065,00060,00010

We would more than likely be on the lower end of French.
Any and all replies will be greatly appreciated.
P.S. if your looking for new waters to try I can help you out with the aforementioned Lawrence/Beaver county rivers.
2012/06/05 07:57:21
kayak99
French Creek is very much floatable this time of year.  June would rarely be too shallow but if in the summer it gets low, walk the riffles.  I'd be more concerned about high water than low.
2012/06/05 09:56:49
Josh7388
What he said about high water. I float Shaws landing to utica almost every year and it's and great trip. Rarely ever have to wade even in low water
2012/06/05 12:54:48
dakotab
Might see you out there.  Me a few buddies are floating from lake LeBoeuff (sp) to the Allegeny.  We're leaving on the 20th.
2012/06/05 12:57:54
Pork
Now that's gonna be a heck of a trip!
Not sure if you're familiar with the creek, but careful of the dam in Saegertown. And, HAVE FUN!! :)
*and, how long are you planning on that float taking?
2012/06/05 14:06:07
dakotab
We're thinking we should be able to do it in a week.  We did 8 miles on Memorial day and were done by 4 oclock.  One of the guys google earthed it and it said it was 69.8 miles by creek.  So 10 miles a day should be doable.
2012/06/05 15:21:05
kayak99
Forgot to mention, last weekend I noticed a strainer down in the third pool below Utica on the right.  (I usually go left when the water is up.)  You can get around it easily and it's fairly shallow in that pool but the current could take a novice into it.  I'm hoping someone with a chainsaw cuts this up.  I may not get back up there for a couple weeks.
2012/06/05 17:53:52
ToothyCritterGitter
between conneautee and saegertown is a pretty deep section of the creek. 
2012/06/05 18:24:06
wade alexander
i saw some amish/menonite girls down at cochranton pulling a canoe... so my advice would be dont be a  **** lol

they were cute too..im not ashamed

i think some good fishing would be a couple miles above wilsons chutes...been all over back there its really nice looking probably some deeper water
2012/06/08 13:33:23
fallscity1
Thanks for all the info guys... we'll be kayaking it. Probably 1 nite over. I'm gonna look up some of the launch sites you mentioned.
Not yet sure what day we will shove out, but I;ll let you know and try to snap a few pics as well as fishing reports.

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account