2012/09/05 16:56:37
troutguy
So I fished the river up in the Jamestown area on Monday.  Caught a bunch of tiny gills and crappie and stuff as usual, 2 little largemouths, and my first white bass from that section of river.  The fly rod outfished the spinning rod. 

I catch tons of white bass all the time in the river below Shenango dam, and I know the upper river gets a run of fish from the lake in the spring, but white bass way up below Pymatuning?  I don't fish that part of the river nearly as much as the lower river, but I have never caught or seen a white bass caught there.  My only guess is the fish came from the lake, but I didn't think Pyma had a good white bass population?  Does it?

So now my other question(well it could be a rant too), which may or may not open up a can of worms.  Now I have caught largemouths near Jamestown, and also some smallmouths, but there never seemed to be a decent population of either species.  There just isn't any good smallmouth habitat in the Jamestown vicinity except for only a few spots.  One of those spots is the only spot I have ever caught smallmouths from that section, and I was watching a guy catch and KEEP some!  Saw at least 3 or 4 kept. Do the smallies up there wash down from the lake at all?  Or were they born and raised in the river, I'm sure both probably.  Yeah I'm mainly a C&R guy, but even if I was a catch and keep guy I just couldn't get myself to keep multiple fish that are not common on a section of river, especially if I have only ever caught them in only one riffle before and nowhere else.  Maybe I'm just overreacting..

On the bright side I caught my first couple logperch darters of the year LOL...

2012/09/05 19:09:01
ddubs3
I catch white bass ice fishing Pymie occasionally so it at least has some.
2012/09/06 11:35:55
SmMouthSeeker
For some reason, small mouths don't seem to grow very large in the river. The lake holds a lot of large fish in it, I don't fish the river unless I have my great nephews with me. It's more of a confidence booster for them to catch the small ones.
2012/09/07 04:10:53
thunderpole
Iv seen atleast 6 4+ lb smalles pulled out of lil shanango but only in May tho
2012/09/07 15:29:55
CU@theriver
ive caught 4 pike ( abt 24") and about 3 dozen bass pushing 18" floating the shenango river above the lake for the last 2 or 3 weekends

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account