2012/11/20 11:42:44
malkol
I was fishing the Jamestown area Monday for panfish and got into a school of Alewives. I caught about 8 of them. I've never seen them in the lake before. At first I thought they were Gizzard Shad so I killed them all.  Anyone know if they have been around the lake for long. Will they become a problem like the shad at Wilhelm? I know they eat the same things that I use for panfish.
2012/11/20 20:15:35
chauncy
Are you sure they were alewives and not smelts. Dont they look similar.
2012/11/20 20:22:53
mote1977
Alewives are not new to Pymatuning. They've been there for years.http://www.fishandboat.co...m/2008/1x08_14pyma.htm

2012/12/02 17:50:43
Big Tuna
That ohio's big thing all the years Pa. was stocking eye's Ohio stocked alewieve fry. Now Ohio is putting the eyes in too.
2012/12/02 18:55:40
PITFLY
I was fishing off of the Linesville Marina dock  this year and I caught a bowfin. I never caught one in Pymie before and was shocked when I reeled it in. The fish commision was right up the street "watching" so I walked up and asked him about bowfin in pymie.  He gave me a smart****remark like I was bothering him and I turned around and walked away.
2012/12/02 19:08:51
wade alexander
 you caught a bowfin in pymy????

2012/12/02 19:12:29
PITFLY
Yes! I couldn't believe it!  I had my friend keep it on the line while I talked to the fish comm. in case he didn't believe me.  He said "Yeah they are in there, nothing we can do about it."   I have caught them in the Geneva swamp so I am familiar with them.  It was a small bowfin but def. a bowfin!
2012/12/02 19:16:14
wade alexander
i heard those asain carp will be in alot of rivers and lakes in a few yrs also... but the worlds supposed to end this yr anyways... im not sure which would be worse
2012/12/03 12:01:39
CroatianSensation
malkol

I was fishing the Jamestown area Monday for panfish and got into a school of Alewives. I caught about 8 of them. I've never seen them in the lake before. At first I thought they were Gizzard Shad so I killed them all.  Anyone know if they have been around the lake for long. Will they become a problem like the shad at Wilhelm? I know they eat the same things that I use for panfish.

A problem?  I don't see the problem with a form of baitfish which makes forage richer and fish healthier and bigger.  I'd sacrifice catching them being a little easier for better quality fish any day of the week.
2012/12/03 15:27:52
spoonchucker
"A problem? I don't see the problem with a form of baitfish which makes forage richer and fish healthier and bigger."

Until they start out competing the Walleye fry for food.

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account