2013/01/03 10:54:07
Sergeant Major
Checked the ice between the dam and boat launch one. The bare ice spots had 4 inches or a little more 30 yards out. I then decided to check the areas i the same place that had snow covering the ice and it was a little over 2 inches thick. Big difference. Be very careful if walking on the ice that is covered with snow. The park put out ice rescue gear.
2013/01/03 17:10:18
CRAPPIE_SLAYER
Thanks for the report. Might have to take a ride down this weekend.
2013/01/03 17:40:11
Fish5000
Yes, thank you Sergeant Major! I can't wait to get some holes drilled!
2013/01/03 18:34:42
scottsgrafix
last few years havent done very good at all on that lake
2013/01/03 21:40:00
Sergeant Major
Scottsgrafix,
Hey buddy dont kick Wilhelm to the curb. I like fishing Pyme alot but I have had some great days at Wilhelm. I was fishing Tuttle Point one day and caught maybe 10 nice crappie. it was really slow so I headed for home. I decided to check a spot on Wilhelm just because I had nothing going on at at home and I wasn't ready to quit fishing. I walked out on the ice down by boat launch 1 and drilled a hole. The vexlar lit up like a Christmas tree and I thought "Shad" so I moved about 25 yards and had nothing on the screen so I decided to give the hole that I thought was shad a try. I put on a forage minnow tiped with a minnie it was about 1 pm and before the lure got within 5 ft of the marks they started racing up to the lure and the fight was on I brought up a nice 12 in crappie.After that it was as fast as i could get it down I had another until I ran out of minnows and my son called. He asked me if I was fishing or catching. My reply was catching and I heard him tell my wife take me to dad now. Well I ran and got more minnows and we fished till dark and it never slowed down. We took 68 crappies off the ice between 10 and 15 inches. We put back countless crappies in the 9 and 10 inch range. I thought that was a fluke but I have done that several times after that at different spots.
2013/01/03 22:49:22
Bogeyjoker
I've had days like that there too, E-9...but every year the average size seems to decline a bit, and most of the slabs, are less than slabby. Even the 12-13" crappie seem anorexic.  Maybe we've been on the slack side of a cycle, but I can't wait for another boom year. 
2013/01/03 22:57:37
slabdaddy
About 7 years ago I had a banner day on Wilhelm, but since then all I can catch are dinks. There are plenty of those. Maybe I'm just not on them. I've heard lots of other folks say the same thing though. I'd love to see it come back.
2013/01/04 15:15:01
Sergeant Major
Without a dought pyme has the fattest crappie of any lake i have fished thats why i drive 40 minutes most of the time instead of 5 minutes with a hope of having a good day.
2013/01/04 20:11:25
ddubs3
My wife and I fished here today. Everything below launch 3 to the dam is very questionable. 2" or less not far from shore. Launch 3 had 3" out to about 50 yards and less after that. We caught a few perch and gills.
2013/01/05 17:51:21
scottsgrafix
well i dont have the time aday for that lake really.. years ago was a great fishery now it just sux.. buddy has been there all day on the ice today caought a cpl small perch an one small crappie..

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account