2012/10/27 16:48:08
walleye24j
Looking for some info. on French creek. One is where you can get easy access to fish. Some one told me that they catch some walleyes in there. I dont know anything about it. I am not from the area, so any info would be great. Thanks
2012/10/27 19:50:08
psu_fish
Its runs through Erie, Crawford and Venango Counties. Plenty of access points..either canoe launches or parks. 

Look around the PFBC site, also look at Google Maps and drive the creek 
2012/10/27 21:37:41
Catchabigone
There's perch, bass, musky, northern ,walleyes and many others pretty much the entire length of the creek
lower portion is wider and deeper and has better fishing, I fish the upper parts and catch some pretty nice fish
2012/10/27 23:03:30
walleye24j
Thanks for the info. I am going to have to give it a try.
2012/10/30 14:19:52
Jester
Beginning now through ice up, Walleye hold where they would in larger rivers . . . current breaks, behind structure, ledges/dropoffs.  Fishing first light and dusk-dark best, but can catch them on overcast days in deeper runs if conditions/presentation are right.  Know a number of guys nail nice ones in there, but biggest I've ever landed is 22"--I'm an Allegheny River guy myself.  Good luck, let us know how you fared!
2012/11/27 21:25:58
kayak99
walleye24j

Looking for some info. on French creek. One is where you can get easy access to fish. Some one told me that they catch some walleyes in there. I dont know anything about it. I am not from the area, so any info would be great. Thanks

It will probably be spring before the creek will be very fishable but when you decide when, where and how you want to fish the creek, ask.  Much of the creek can be waded in low water, but using a canoe or kayak can produce much better.  Many places to put in and take out if you have a couple vehicles.  Make certain you watch the water levels.
2012/11/28 19:26:59
SmMouthSeeker
French Creek is very good for eyes. I haven't fished it for a few years, but I've done very well in the Crawford County area around Cocherton in the late spring and summer time. 
2012/11/28 20:43:51
troutguy
My family has a cottage in the Cochranton area near French.  I don't know the stream very well yet, but I have been getting into some smallies in the Cochranton area, and in other stretches also.  Some nice ones too.  One evening I caught two eyes on two consecutive casts, but haven't really targeted them much yet.

I did a little more exploring on the creek this year and have been getting into bass near Saegertown, Meadville, and also down around Franklin.  Also got an eye in Saegertown and lost a PIG walleye south of meadville. I usually can manage a handful of bass an outing, but nothing spectacular numbers wise.  Like I said I haven't fully learned the creek yet. 

2012/11/29 22:18:38
kayak99
French Creek was giving up some really good sized smallies this past year.   Years prior gave up numbers but smaller fish.  The larger bass are good to see!
2012/12/22 17:46:40
scottsgrafix
Hi guys im new to the site,, i fished the heck outa french creek its one of the most under fished waterways in Pa.. i live right by there for 15 years fished it all the time.. caught several big musky,pike an eyes and small mouth.. biggest musky was 49" an bigest eye was 31"  an small mouth was 20" but caught severl nice fish great place to fish never onced got skunked i fished from franklin to meadville.. i live by lake aurther now 10 mins from moriane st park looking for info on walleye there

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account