2012/08/02 17:21:49
wade alexander
probably not in the budget...
2012/08/02 19:07:37
spoonchucker
"Why did they wait this long to remove and transport the fish?"

Because they didn't know until tuesday, that it would be necessary to do so. 

"The additional deficiencies in the northern earthen dam were discovered Tuesday during an engineering inspection, Levis said."

2012/08/02 19:50:42
woodnickle

The drawdown means a loss of aquatic life in the thousands, too, because of low water levels, low oxygen levels and high temperatures in the remaining water, according to Levis.
“We expect a large fish kill,” Levis said. “We’ll do what we can to remove fish and we want to make that clear to the public, but a lot of fish could be killed.”
2012/08/02 21:13:41
psu_fish
I wish Kahle would get fixed soon too...
2012/08/03 00:43:11
wade alexander
could be? whats the water temps like high eighties at least im guessing
2012/08/03 10:48:11
B.A.
What is going on with Tamarack is a travesty. Several years ago when my Bait & Tackle shop was still in operation, we went thru this then as well. While the work was being done on the dams, some of the restrictions were relaxed so that persons were allowed at their own risk, to remove some of the soil near a couple of the launches. While this was allowed for only a short while, a lot of soil was removed(but not nealy enough to even dent it). I had heard from several people who said that they were unaware that this was going on until it was halted because they were starting to refill the lake.
What I am getting at is why can't our twp. soliciter draw up a contract with PFBC that would allow for the removal of those soils on a larger scale. I had a couple of my customers (that were contracters) tell me that had they known about the soil removal, they would have brought in a lot of their equipment and removed the soil in order to have it for resale to their customers. This soil is very rich in decayed organic matter that is highly prized by gardeners and landscapers. Hey, it's just an idea that I feel should possibly be looked into.
2012/08/03 11:18:09
dealinsteel
spoonchucker

They didn't know they'd have to fix the dam??  Kinda naive if you ask me.  For 8 months it sat there while  "engineers are still monitoring the situation" - taken from the first and second quarter reports, Jan-Mar 2012, April-June 2012, page 19 of 20. 
2012/08/03 16:38:29
spoonchucker
They knew the dam needed repaired. What they didn't know, was how far they would need to lower it in the interim.
2012/08/03 16:44:44
bigesox11
dealinsteel

spoonchucker

They didn't know they'd have to fix the dam??  Kinda naive if you ask me.  For 8 months it sat there while  "engineers are still monitoring the situation" - taken from the first and second quarter reports, Jan-Mar 2012, April-June 2012, page 19 of 20. 

EXACTLY!  That's what I was talking about.  How did anyone not see it getting to this point sooner.  It's total BS if you ask me.  AND this is the second time.  Those fish should have been moved to surrounding lakes much sooner.  I'm sure that there would have been plenty of volunteers to help with any and all efforts.
2012/08/03 17:34:51
anzomcik
The original plan was to move the fish in october, I know this because i just talked to the PFBC on the phone and got alot of detailed information.

That all changed when they seen the meadville dam was in very bad shape at an inspection so they had to move the fish now, it could not wait liked planned.

They also have an army of people netting and electro shocking fish and doing everything they can to save the fish. He said so far it is very successful with most of the fish living. Theyu are running 6 of the big stocking trucks taking about 2000lbs of fish a day out to other area lakes.

To me I feel they are doing the very best they can do to make the sitution right. Not everything goes as planned, but they are doing what they feel is correct and parts of meadville are safer with the lower water. Its better to have 10000 fish die than one person. They made the correct call.

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account