2012/07/19 14:19:59
Pachuckles

Fish-a-thon....Yes...... This year you'll be issued a sling shot or you may bring own sling shot and a box of 10 Silver Salutes or M-80's.
After each shot you may net the biggest fish floating "belly up."

The following RULES apply:
1. All entrants must possess a in-valid fishing licence.
2. Twisting of fuses on S.S. or M-80's limit of 2 fuses.
3. Entrants may use their own sling shot. (width limited to 4 ft....height limited to 6 ft.)
4. Other RULES may be added or subtracted before weigh in.
5. Fish missing 1 fin or 1 eye or part of the dorsal fin or tail may be entered at weigh in. (NO WHOLE)

Feel free to add RULES
Fish-a-Thon will be held at the south end of the lake. ( Pettits end..the one without a Port a Potty)

2012/07/19 18:00:41
muskefisher
its a shame what happened to that lake.  remember fishing it as a kid in the 70's & my grandson caught his 1st muskie there. hopefully they repair it & would really help to dredge it a little.
2012/07/27 08:42:30
eyesandgillz
H3Fisher

What happened to all the funds from fishing license sales... lol what a joke. Shame to see the lake in this shape.

So many failing dams, only a limited amount of funds.   Many of these dams were built using the same methods many years ago and were turned over to the PFBC around the same time.  Unfortunately, those bldg. methods weren't the best and the dams are failing, just like all infrastructure eventually does.   On top of that, federal and state regulations have changed over time and have redefined the risk factors which put more dams into the high hazard category.  

I'd be willing to pay for a $5 Dam re-building stamp as long as it had a defined length of time for implementation attached to it and had a sunset clause so any inaction would cause automatic removal after a certain timeframe.  I imagine I'd be in the minority though.  These additional funds could be added to the current dam repair funding in the regular yearly budget.  
2012/07/27 09:40:03
Byteme90k
thanks for sharing those pictures....very interesting and sad.

MikeH
2012/07/30 20:28:36
troutguy
Was just there this afternoon.  There were lots of dead crappie and gills along the shoreline.  Very sad, but I'm not surprised one bit.  They smelled pretty bad and I didn't make one cast into the lake.  Went down to the outflow and it seemed a lot more "foamy" than usual.  Caught a bunch of small crappie and gills with ease with the fly rod, but then called it quits.  Kinda felt bad about fishing for them. It smelled a little there too, but not the dead fish smell(no dead fish down there).

Here's a pic.  It's kinda hard to see the fish, but if you look closely, especially near the bottom, that white along the shoreline is dead fish.

2012/07/31 08:23:12
fishin coyote
I see the water came up a foot or so from the weekend storms. As far as the dead gills and crappies go at least the eagles will have easy pickins.

Mike
2012/08/02 07:41:30
CAP78
Local news on the radio this morning said officials are dropping the lake another 5 feet.
2012/08/02 07:49:26
CAP78
Below is a link to an article in the Tribune today.  4-5 years to fix the dams and the fish are being removed...high fish kill numbers are likely.

http://meadvilletribune.c...ore-dam-problems-found
2012/08/02 08:52:23
eyesandgillz
Sad,  but hopefully they can get the funding and dredge while they are at it and make the lake even better for the future.
2012/08/02 11:05:09
bigesox11
Why did they wait this long to remove and transport the fish?

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account