2013/01/09 16:40:19
ToothyCritterGitter
To those who PM'd me about going ice fishing, i'm happy to share some knowledge and have a good time, but PLEASE, if we get to finally get out there, don't show up without 2 things - ICE CLEATS so you don't bust your head open on the ice, and ICE ESCAPES - 2 handles with spikes that go around your neck or through your sleves, so if you fall in, you can pull yourself out.  i hope to never need them, and always go on safe ice, but safe is better than dead...
2013/01/09 17:56:02
chauncy
Sergeant Major

Slabdaddy,
I have taken my limit of slab crappies so my times at shenango it's hard to keep track. The key is to find a stump in the channel and jig just off the side of it. I have most of the stumps in my GPS and found them with my sonar and underwater camera. Shenango is fun. I like to take my Camera and set it up watching my jig. The water is pretty clear and you can see the crappies coming. The kids love it!!! They love watching the fish eat the lure. I have seen on the camera just about every inch of the sreen full of crappies. It got a little tough because you couldn't see your jig sometimes because of all the crappie.

I've seen this too. Those crappies come thru in droves but when you get them on the ice, they're 5 and 6" fish. Seen a guy the other day stackin those little suckers up around his hole. Fun to catch but a bugger to clean a limit of them. But if you're going to eat them, more power to you.
2013/01/09 18:17:23
Bogeyjoker
chauncy 

...on the ice, they're 5 and 6" fish. Seen a guy the other day stackin those little suckers up around his hole.

I really, really hate to see this.  I know it's legal, but I don't see the point...let those little boogers grow up, and then harvest them.
2013/01/09 18:51:34
slabdaddy
I would never keep them so small (unless I needed musky bait). LOL

2013/02/04 13:54:52
BoroMusky
Just out on Edinboro. Feb 4th 1:45 pm. 2.5-3 inch hard black ice under 6 inches of powdery snow. This was at the big beach/ boat launch. Lots of slush around that area. I dont feel safe on that side yet. was going to check east side by rt 99, but since its a little deeper there and by myself, i didnt check. My guess is that side of lake will be an inch or 2 thicker since it was first to re-freeze over and thats where all the ice chunks and slush got pushed to in that heavy wind on thurs and friday. The entire outflow channel was slush and looked unsafe
2013/02/06 18:52:16
BoroMusky
Edinboro 2/6/13 6:30 pm. Beach/boat launch.... 1/2 inch crunch layer on top of 3.5 inches of solid ice. I'm not ready to go on it, but should be real soon. Virtually zero snow on it... so should mean thickening every hour
2013/02/08 17:57:14
ToothyCritterGitter
thanks for the update, would like to give em a shot on the boro, i have a good hydrograph of that lake with 1 ft intervals
2013/02/17 23:29:01
BoroMusky
Lake Edinboro is between 4-5.5 inches of good, hard ice. Was out on it earlier today. Any other lakes "safe" yet? I know sugar is...
2013/02/18 06:46:43
nw/jigmaster
BoroMusky

Lake Edinboro is between 4-5.5 inches of good, hard ice. Was out on it earlier today. Any other lakes "safe" yet? I know sugar is...

WOODCOCK IS ...  WONDER IF LEBOUFF IS ???????
2013/02/18 10:07:31
dustydoo
people fishing leboub off lakeside tavern lot???

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account