2013/03/07 06:32:21
anzomcik
Is your recommendation to anyone who is looking at targeting musky is to use a set up similiar to yours (8lb test, 7' spinning, no leader and a husky jerk)?

From the areas I fish I talk to many walleye guys who land musky with there gear, in fact I help land some of those fish. So I will agree that the set up you described will land an musky. I believe most will agree that musky gear for targeting musky should be more robust than the average bass and walleye gear.
2013/03/07 08:34:44
Plum Bob
Targeting muskies with walleye/bass spinning gear and 8 lb line is just plain ridiculous. Sure, you can land, catch them on tackle this light but why do it?  Used to fish smallmouths, walleyes at Chautauqua some, especially in the fall, with light tackle and 8 lb mono. Caught some nice muskies doing this including a couple fat, fall 46 inchers, estimated at 25 or 26 lbs. on baby thunder sticks. It takes forever to  land fish this size on light bass/walleye tackle and not good for muskies intended to be released.
Muskies definitely will take small 3 to 5 inch bass/walleye lures. My all time favorite trolling lure for Chautauqua muskies is a J-13 rapala, barely 5" long, modified with 3/0, 2/0 VMC double hooks replacing the small rings and trebles that come on the lure.

2013/03/07 14:30:31
Noplacelikehome
I am not a musky fisherman. Down here I am fishing for smallies and eyes. But I can't help it if they bite my lure. I have never kept or killed one either. I was just trying to express my opinion on river musky fishing. I guess musky guys are just like bass guys. Spend lots of money even though it is not necessary. Down here bass guys use 20 or 25lb test to catch 1 and 2lb bass!  I didn't mean to offend anyone. This post is titled river musky set up and thats what works for me on the Susquehanna River.
2013/03/07 17:00:24
anzomcik
NoPlace, I never said your setup was incorrect. But the difference is this thread was talking about a musky specific setup. You just said your a bass and walleye guy that gets the suprize musky. So you have gear that is set up for bass and walleye. The OP was talking musky, not an all around combo, thats why I asked if your setup was a recommendation to target musky.

I believe we are on the same page with our thinking, and if you were refering to myself as the one taking offence, turely I feel there isnt anything that was offensive in your post  

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account