2012/12/26 10:41:57
troutguy
Either downsize the pic and attach it, or upload the non-downsized pic to a site like Photobucket and  copy and paste the IMG code and then change the IMG to lowercase img
2012/12/26 13:20:31
Fish5000
 You're more than welcome Ref for the info and you're correct, we do pretty well above the lowhead , particularly above "The Wire" which has been long gone. We also do well below the lowhead dam. "We" are my two children, 13 [boy] and 9 [girl] year sold. All of you guys have some very nice photos, good job !
  I love Capt Hook's idea about starting a thread with fish pics, no matter where they were caught. I have little doubt that it will become a very popular post and as Troutguy wrote, it will be something to get us through the winter. What fisherman [ woman] doesn't enjoy looking at fish pics? ! ? !
  I take young anglers to the outflow when I want them to catch their first Muskie as that place is polluted with them in the spring. And once again, that isn't spot burning as it's very common knowledge. Only problem then though is that they get Muskie fever! ! !
2012/12/26 18:22:10
The Ref
Nothing wrong with muskie fever 5000 I've had it for well over 20 years. I will fish themthis spring in the river!! I do really good in the lake above casting for them.
2012/12/26 23:29:01
woodnickle
Maybe another Shenango outing this year...
2012/12/27 09:46:43
CU@theriver
The Shenango River

I could write a book on all the great times I've had on this river.
1. @Troutguy - that picture you posted is a RR bridge under construction. I portaged over over it several times this summer. Nice holes and flows in there ;)
Its temporary.

2. Shenango River Watchers-
look them up. They are doing some great things on the river. A membership is only 10$ a year. BUY ONE!!

3. Shenango River Watchers-
seriously, go to their site right now.

The Shenango is truly a gem of the Northwest. Despite a heavy industry presence years ago, it has recovered nicely. There are some species of minnow "brook silversides" that reside in the RIver. (see Andy Turner FB page, he;s a limnologist/ichthyologist from Clarion university and my old advisor)

I've floated from sharpsville to sharon.
From Greenville park to Kidds Mill bridge.
Hamburg road bridge to the lake.

My opinion. The upper shenango is more remote and has the best summer fishing.
Below the dam, down to sharon is good most any time of the year and the dam provides stable flows for canoeing.

I'd like to think i have that river just abt figured out...
I also have some good shenango pics and a photobucket acct,
i may try to post some
2012/12/27 10:57:25
CU@theriver
small pike 2012 fall

average "upper" shenango smallie
we landed 10+ fish every trip this summer for 6 trips in a row
never even changed tackle

upper shenango maiden voyage

Why the upper shenango is better than the lower:...

again, average size shenango smallie
mid summer, you boat these all day

2012/12/27 11:22:59
troutguy
Nice pics.  Other than right below pymy, is the upper Shenango a good multispecies fishery?  Or is your most common catch smallies?  That's what I like about the lower river, you never know what your going to reel in.  Lots of smallies, catfish, nice bluegills, crappie, trout, white bass, hybrids, walleye, and pike.  Anything is game.  I definitely need to explore the upper river some more this summer.  So many places to fish and so little time!  It would be cool to hit the white bass run up there also. 

btw, I think my brother and I were there when you got that pike.  Or at least someone who looked like you lol.  We caught more pike this year than all our other years fishing combined, but then again we never targeted them until recently. 
2012/12/27 11:30:56
CU@theriver
Ya, Ive seen you guys down there at the wall, and once when we launched by the iron bridge.
It was a small pike, but i got it on the old "last cast" to beat the shenango skunk.

I've only floated the upper shenango a handful of times.
Pike, White bass, SMB, walleye were all caught.

I'd really suggest floating it due to limited land access.
The SRW (shenango river watchers) have cleared all large trees (strainers) from pymy to shenango lake and you can float the whole way.

You want the USGS station at Transfer (kidds mill) to be less than 3ft and a little more than 1.5 to have the best float.
Those canoe pics are below greenville at a gauge height of like 1.18. Pretty low.
The yellow rope was to float the canoe over the riffles and walk beside it

Also somebody mentioned a "black cloud" billowing up from the river bottom...i've seen it too
it stinks

2012/12/27 11:48:51
troutguy
It's cool how that "last cast" thing works out.  Usually I'm like "one more cast" and 20 last casts later I don't get anything lol.  That might be my brother and I on the wall, but I thought we were wading that time. idk, we always do both.

Yeah it seems like it would be a fun river to float.  I'll have to take a look into the Shenango river watchers also.
2012/12/27 13:21:42
The Ref
Guys anyone been on the upper river the past week or so looking for a report or two. Flow has been good or has the weather been to bad up there.

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account