2012/12/13 21:09:55
troutguy
It's possible, but chances are it was born and raised in the river.  No sure way of telling though. 
2012/12/16 16:04:53
SmMouthSeeker
The only dam I can think of on the Shenango is in Orangeville, Ohio. 
2012/12/16 19:24:20
troutguy
SmMouthSeeker

The only dam I can think of on the Shenango is in Orangeville, Ohio. 

That's Pymatuning Creek, a trib to Shenango Lake entering from the west. 

The Shenango River begins at Pyma, enters Shenango lake from the northeast and then exits the lake in Sharpsville and then meets up with the Mahoning in New Castle to form the Beaver. 
2012/12/17 10:32:37
CAPTAIN HOOK
He must be talking about the cement dam about 300 yds. below the Pymy out flow above the walk across bridge. That would pose a problem for upstream migration of fish on low water. When the river is high I see no problem for fish to get above. I was told years ago that the lake over flow building (weir ) has screens on as to not allow wood and junk through. I was told that fish cannot pass through the screens but every so often the screens are raised to allow them to clean debris out. I'm not positve on the weir action but when I talked to a patrol officer he basically new nothing about it. 

High water fishing. 

2012/12/17 12:59:27
The Ref
Some nice eyes there Captain!! Did you get them recentlly? I'm trying to make my way up there this weekend.
2012/12/17 16:37:26
troutguy
Those are from the upper river I take it? Nice! 

CAPTAIN HOOK

I was told that fish cannot pass through the screens but every so often the screens are raised to allow them to clean debris out. I'm not positve on the weir action but when I talked to a patrol officer he basically new nothing about it. 

Interesting.  I think the number of fish being able to be sucked through depends on the dam type, lake, etc.  I caught a white bass in Jamestown this spring and I assumed it came from Pyma, although I never knew the lake had a good white bass population.  I highly doubt it swam all the way up from Shenango Lake.  

I don't have a lot of experience fishing for eyes on the upper river, but I always assumed they came out of the lake(Pyma) and not migrated from downstream.  Not sure though.  The lower river below Shenango Lake I'm not sure either. I'm guessing both.  The biggest concentration is directly below the dam but I know there are plenty downstream also. 

So I guess my question is, does the Shenango River(either between Pyma and Shenango, or Shenango Lake and down) have a good resident walleye population or do most of the fish spill out from either of the two lakes?
2012/12/17 17:00:55
troutguy
Kinda answering my own question here...after looking at the PFBC stocking lists the last time the upper river was stocked with walleye was in '94(along with saugeye which I found interesting).  The lower river from Sharpsville on down was last stocked in '07.  Both lakes are currently stocked.  How many wild fish are there, and just how many stocked fish escape the lakes at an early age and grow up in the river I don't know. 
2012/12/17 17:14:36
Fish5000
 No, I wasn't referring to the lowhead dam just above the walk across bridge as Capt Hook suggested. Maybe it was deadfalls as The Ref posted. From what I remembered though, the dam was very tall so that rules out deadfalls. When I do get there again I could take pictures, post them and don't mind doing so, but that really doesn't prove anything other than there is a dam on a waterway. I don't remember there being any distiguishable features that would identify that location. I was very surprised to see the dam the first time I saw it and saw it multiple times, three to be exact. I was just as surprised to see it as all of you were to read my post.
2012/12/17 18:17:15
wade alexander
well besides the low water this yr if theres a net so fish and debris cant pass thru that would explain the bad fishing for me at least below the dam this yr. o well fish are worth more in the lake than in a river where very little of it is fished for the most part anyway
2012/12/18 11:41:52
The Ref
I fished it twice last spring before the season closed and there were a bunch of guys there eye fishing so that should tell you that they get them there. I think there's a decent population in there and they migrate up.

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account