2013/03/10 18:59:50
CRAPPIE_SLAYER
Well, hung up the ice gear after yesterday, and broke the waders out for the first time today.  Didn't really expect much action yet, but it was a beautiful day to get out.  Found a few open areas where I normally fish on pymy and gave it a shot, but no luck.  I love to fish on the ice and from a boat, but to me there really is nothing like wade fishing.  I've found some of my best spots and seen a diversity of wildlife in my many trips wading pymy.  Is there any other avid wade fishermen chomping at the bit??  I know my equipment will be riding around with me in my truck for the next 2 months.
2013/03/10 20:50:21
harv
Can't wait to get out there. Went past the lake this morning and there is still too much ice. Did see a flock of about 40-50 Pintails, some Widgeon and a flock of Scaup. I'm chomping at the bit!
2013/03/11 10:00:27
slabdaddy
I've never waded Pymie before. I really want to try it this year. Keep the reports coming and good luck.
2013/03/11 10:53:24
Accountant
one of the things on my offseason to do list was fix the leak in the **** of my waders.  never got around to doing it, but i cant wait to get out there and plod around the water.
2013/03/11 10:57:39
CRAPPIE_SLAYER
Slab, just as a caution about wading pymy, be careful when wading the bays.  They can go from a solid bottom to a few feet worth of mud very quickly.  Other than that, I hope you get to give it a shot this year.  Good luck!!
2013/03/11 11:38:56
slabdaddy
CS, do you carry a stick with you to test the bottom? Generally when does the bite start on the eyes? I've heard stories of eyes coming in close to shore by the hundreds in the spring. Sounds like fun. I'd like to give it a shot.
2013/03/11 12:02:19
CRAPPIE_SLAYER
I don't carry a stick, but its would probably be a good idea.  Just learned to take it slower and feel around with my feet every step.  Used to go out pretty gung ho until i was wading the north end of conneaut lake one day and went from ankle deep water to a-hole deep mud in 1 step.  Took 10 -15 minutes to get broke loose.  I've slowed down alot since then.  As far as the walleyes, give it a shot .
2013/03/11 12:44:24
outasync
ill warn ya slabdaddy the spring bite can get addictive
2013/03/11 13:48:19
slabdaddy
I can think of worse things to be addicted to! LOL! My best friend and long-time fishing buddy just switched jobs and will probably be less available to fish with this year. I'm going to have to find someone else to fish with. I was  hoping to try the wading thing with him this year but he had to do what he had to do, so to speak.

So when does the bite really start? From what I've read, some people say as early as mid March and others say not until the beginning of April. I've also read that the bite startes earlier in Linesville than it does at Jimmytown.

Do the crappies come in the same time that the eyes come? I know, it's a lot of questions. One thing I've learned is that it doesn't hurt to ask. The worst thing people can do is make spoon-feeding jokes. lol. Thanks for all of your help fellas. Maybe I'll see you on the water in a couple of weeks.
2013/03/11 15:46:21
fishinpreacher
SD, you arn't the only one who would like to know about wading for eyes a Pyme. I've never done it either but really want to give it a try this year.

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account