• Northwest PA
  • Might be a stupid question but curiosity is killing me?
2013/04/02 19:21:25
CatchinPABass
Is it illegal in PA to do self habitat improvement on public lakes such as Pymatuming or Wilhelm?  I've seen lots of old Christmas trees layed in the parking lots of a lot of the state parks where clearly they will be placed in the lake.  Im curious if the finger of shame would be pointed at any citizen not working for the DCNR or Fish Commission to place his or her own habitat improvement in the lake....even fines???
2013/04/02 19:26:21
ddubs3
I believe it is considered littering and could mean fines.
2013/04/02 20:33:06
WaLLeye_Killer
they might be for the lake association fish habitats

2013/04/02 20:54:55
CatchinPABass
Thanks fellas, wasn't sure and was just curious.  It would be nice if they would let us improve lake habitat though!  I think some of us really could make a difference and provide some great fishing areas/opportunity but it is what it is.
2013/04/02 22:05:14
CatchinPABass
Well put and I know all about what they do to try to help improve the lake.  I've met a few talkactive individuals that filled me in on all they have done over the years which is great in terms of habitat for the lake.  I was more so referring from an anglers point of view, not only to improve lake habitat, but also logically place it so it can be fished and provide for a great "hot spot."  Win win situation there.   I know some are not as avid as others and you'd always have those individuals carelessly not thinking about placement and/or building/sinking the structure.  Oh well, the laws will not change and like I said I was just curious on the subject and had a general idea it wasn't allowed by law.  In my opinion, I think it would be awsome if they would let alot of anglers create structures (obviously getting fish commission approved) and place them various times through out the year while at the same time the fish commission too are out there sinking what ever!   
coldfront

the lake association has been sinking 'habitat' for years.  there are tons of pallets, Christmas trees and cribs in the lake.  when individuals do it, they may be done haphazardly.  i cannot tell you how many times i have come upon single Christmas trees that broke free of their moorings and were ashore or just under the surface close to shore.

the lake has plenty of habitat and the fishing for bass, musky, cats and panfish continues to be good.  walleyes have little natural reproduction and need to be stocked.  

2013/04/03 20:56:25
SmMouthSeeker
I've had people tell me about certain individuals dropping trees into the lake to create a hot spot just for them. I wouldn't do it without permission of course.
2013/04/03 20:57:34
CatchinPABass
Ive heard similar storys but I wouldnt take the risk myself.  Aint worth it.

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account