2013/04/25 22:09:42
bigfoot
Tried to find some today. No luck.
2013/04/25 22:28:14
pheasant tail 2
Found 30 or 40 greys this evening. They are just starting to poke up through the leaf litter. A bit more rain would be nice.
2013/04/26 09:50:05
CAPTAIN HOOK
My friend brought me in a bag of fresh Leeks I love em....................friends I talk to after eating em don't ! I dip them in salad dressing and eat them raw . He claims he also cuts the leaves up and fries them with scrambled eggs.
2013/04/26 10:48:21
tippecanoe
He claims he also cuts the leaves up and fries them with scrambled eggs.

my brother in law does something like this, had it camping, it was really good.  of course, he cooked it up in bacon, and everything in bacon is good

2013/04/26 11:40:03
CU@theriver
there are "leeks" and there are "ramps"

most of you are probably eating ramps
wikipedia both of em and see which you are picking.

2013/04/26 12:46:04
CAPTAIN HOOK
Ramps they are..........................I hear also there are wild onions, along with leeks or are they the same ?
2013/04/26 14:03:47
CU@theriver
Wild Onions - have a single, long, slender shoot. Similar to rushes (wetland plant) the have a slightly larger bulb than a ramp, and a similar but more mild flavor than the ramp. Ramp> wild onion in my opinion.
Wild onions come up much earlier than ramps. Heck drive past a corn field now and you will probably see many wild onion sprouting along the field/woodline boudary. Both are abundant here in MerCo.

Leeks, have a whorled leaf and a thick base for a bulb.. maybe 1/2 - 1" diameter. I have never picked leeks.

Morels are sprouting in greene/wash counties now
I expect another week at least before we see them here.
But if anyone stumbles upon them in NW PA, let me know
2013/04/26 16:36:58
Bogeyjoker
"Ramps" is simply a colloquialism for wild leeks.  It's mainly a West Virginia name, although I think it's traveled a bit.  Domesticated leeks have a whorled leaf like CU stated, and the green part is not eaten unlike the wild variety.  Domesticated leeks also come in a couple different varieties and have early season and late season types.  I grow leeks, and the domesticated ones have a good size bulb so you don't need as many, but I prefer the wild ones' stronger flavor...but with the wild ones you have a short window of opportunity.
2013/04/26 21:11:01
Skip16503

2013/04/30 11:50:39
dakota kid
Caught a few steelies for the smoker the other day and picked a few leeks on my way out. If I could just find a cream cheese and cracker tree and I'll be all set.

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account