2013/04/24 12:41:26
CAPTAIN HOOK
I don't know how it is today but a few years back the outflow was very low. I waded up to the wall that was almost sticking above water and stuck my six and a half foot rod over the other side of the wall and did not touch bottom! Don't know how much deeper it was or if it is still as deep just know that's what it was that trip. I have seen a few dummies actually stand on that wall and fish. There was only one drowning at the Shenango sluices that I remember in my 50 years of fishing there. There are metal grab rigs by every sluice if one would fall and get swept in they might save your life if your lucky. Beware wading up close the underwater rocks get much larger and harder to wade in .
2013/04/24 17:05:12
Mags00
Last year I saw a few gentleman standing on the wall. I myself wouldn't. And I wondered what those ring/chains were... I thought it was for when the core would clean major debris from the pool so they could tie off... All I know is I think that's my favorite place I've fished at in Western Pa.
2013/05/01 11:02:26
woodnickle
1 May – Mostly sunny for today through Sunday. Highs near 75. The lake elevation today is 895.25 which is approximately ½ foot above normal summer pool (894.67). Sluice gates 1, 3, 5 & 7 are open 1 foot each. The river stage at Sharpsville is 3.10 feet. Downstream water temp was 54 on Monday morning. Today’s air temp was 56. For daily recorded lake information call 724-962-4384.
2013/05/01 11:03:50
woodnickle
re you over 62, or permanently disabled? The America the Beautiful, National Parks and Federal Recreational Lands Senior Pass or Access Pass, provide discounts at Shenango Lake and other Corps of Engineers properties throughout the nation. For information on obtaining a Senior Pass or Access Pass visit the website below. http://www.nps.gov/findapark/passes.htm
NOTE: Golden Access and Golden Age ****s are no longer sold. However, these passes will continue to be honored according to the provisions of the pass.
2013/05/01 17:44:13
Mags00
Mikastorm

1 May – Mostly sunny for today through Sunday. Highs near 75. The lake elevation today is 895.25 which is approximately ½ foot above normal summer pool (894.67). Sluice gates 1, 3, 5 & 7 are open 1 foot each. The river stage at Sharpsville is 3.10 feet. Downstream water temp was 54 on Monday morning. Today’s air temp was 56. For daily recorded lake information call 724-962-4384.

Ugh... Hoping they close one or 2 of those gates by Saturday heading up for the weekend and that's going to ruin me if it's that order. 
  Ty for the report Mika as well.
2013/05/01 22:44:21
woodnickle
Thats really not too bad. ...its when all 7 are open at 11/2 ' that it really really sucks...lol

2013/05/02 09:37:22
CU@theriver
you want 3 feet gage height
anything less is too low. with all the osprey and eagles down there, shallow water is no good

2013/05/02 17:29:40
Mags00
CU@theriver

you want 3 feet gage height
anything less is too low. with all the osprey and eagles down there, shallow water is no good

That's understandable but when you are fishing from the wall and they have gate 1 open it kinda ruins things quickly.  I have the gear and such to wade it but saving that for when they have 1 maybe 2 gates open before I walk around seeing as I'm unfamiliar with the underwater topography right up near the dam I don't want to have any accidents.  lol
2013/05/03 12:00:33
CU@theriver
i get what your saying. I only wade down there, but yes, fishing from the wall with that gate open would be tough
2013/05/08 21:33:27
Mags00
Was there Saturday afternoon/evening and Sunday till about 2pm and caught about 30 trout, 20 White bass/Wipers a slab crappie and couple gills.  Got to see them cut the outflow discharge back and an Osprey fishing too.  Also met some of the folks who seem to frequent the area.  All in all was a nice weekend trip aside from no eyes at either Pymie or Shenango. 

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account