2017/09/23 21:08:45
BeenThereDoneThat.
FBC turned Tamarack into a "brood lake" after the lake was drained and the dam repaired the first time.

Only lake I can remember "Texas rigging" or using a "pig-n-jig" with a steel leader.

Dadburn Esox's would chew off anything as soon as it hit the water. Including small panfish ya was catching under a bobber.

Good times.... yes but not gooder than, catching those once upon a time bull gills.

I'll be taking my annual tour of Autumn when the leaves get lookin pretty. Be interesting to take a look see wassup at Tamarack. Leaves are gorgeous through the valley.
2017/09/23 23:37:30
outasync
Before they drained it the lake was amazing. Low pressure due to the giant floating weed mats from the commission cutting out trails for boaters. Giant bass and musky used to love hanging out on the edges of said paths waiting to ambush anything that swam by. Not to mention the secret population of big walleye down by the dam!

I miss that lake the way it used to be before it was drained.
2017/09/26 14:13:56
looch325
yeah it would be nice if it came back in any way. Even as a panfish and bass lake. Beautiful place. I caught some big largemouth on large gliders and a big swimbait while muskie fishing, probably the biggest LM I've caught that weren't hooked in Texas. Never knew about the walleye, I was almost always using lures that were huge and stayed on top or near the top there or we were trying to get a few crappie and bluegill for dinner with tiny jigs or live bait
2017/10/19 12:58:46
looch325
Saw on twitter it became official last night, Meadville Council voted for pfbc to take next step toward the dam to be constructed 
2017/10/20 09:18:40
BeenThereDoneThat.
Thanks Looch, that sounds promising.  Here's a bit more info from the "Meadville Tribune".

Ok so I got carried away but I'm excited

BREAKING: Tamarack Lake rehabilitation project to proceed
  • Meadville Tribune 
  • Oct 18, 2017 

http://www.meadvilletribu...9d55-9b86761a397a.html] [/link]  

Two weeks after expressing doubts, concerns and even asking at one point, “What’s in it for us?” Meadville City Council members unanimously approved a plan for the Natural Resources Conservation Service to release its interest in Tamarack Lake.

Doing so will allow work on the Tamarack Lake rehabilitation project to proceed, with construction likely beginning in the next few weeks.

“The contractor will be on the ground in November if all things go well,” said Michele Jacoby, director of the bureau of engineering at Pennsylvania Fish and Boat Commission, which operates and maintains the lake.
    For more on this story, pick up Thursday's Tribune or visit meadvilletribune.com on Thursday.
2017/10/23 11:00:09
tippecanoe
Heck yeah. 

2027 is going to be EPIC.

Thanks for keeping us out-of-towners updated on this guys.

2017/10/23 12:01:21
BeenThereDoneThat.
2027? I'd be happy to see (today) what the PFBC has planned for this lake. Another musky nursery ya think?
2017/10/24 08:29:57
tippecanoe
Hard to say.  I would think that they would try to bring it back to something close to its former self, but that would be what I would get for thinking.  If it were in WV, they would probably fill it with big yellow troots, and everyone would bring their matching yellow ropes, and cheer.  Another musky lake to spread out pressure wouldn't hurt my feelings at all.
2017/10/24 08:54:25
BeenThereDoneThat.
Before the Musky were introduced, Tamarack was notorious for her "gills" and carpet like weeds. The first dam repair brought hope of weed control and visions of pan fish, bass and walleye.

I can't say I was disappointed with catching Musky, I have a few pictures I gloat over, but at times it was like "shooting" ducks in a barrel. Not in line with "a fish of 10,000 cast".

Still, good news, the repairs shall move forward and hopefully the contractor has the ability to git-r-done. As for the PFBC..... who knows?
2017/10/24 10:47:33
olds-Pa
Thanks guys for the good news. It seems the red tape is finally getting closer to the shredder. Just my personal view on restocking the lake, would go back to the original format when the lake was first built in the '60s, and stock it with pan fish and walleye. There were some musky in it, and they were huge, but "I" don't think we need another brood lake. As old and decrepit as I am, it won't make much difference what they put in it though..

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account