2015/02/25 15:14:39
BeenThereDoneThat.
Despite some unexpected delays, Pennsylvania Fish and Boat Commission officials remain optimistic that the Tamarack Lake project is moving forward and will be completed as originally planned in 2018.
"This is a major project and we want to do this right and have a safe facility," said Eric Lewis, Pennsylvania Fish Commission spokesman. "We understand that the residents are anxious for the work to be completed, and we are moving right along toward refilling the lake in 2018."

Tamarack Lake was completely drained in April of 2012 because of severe structural problems with two dams. The lake was originally constructed in June 1962. It was then simply known as Tamarack Swamp because of the Tamarack trees, which lose their needles during the fall. The swamp emptied into French Creek. The undertaking was known as the Mill Run Project in 1962.

The lake was an important a flood control project because of severe flooding in Meadville in 1913, 1947, 1948, 1959, 1960 and 1964. The 1959 flood was one of the costliest in Meadville history

When the swamp was developed into a 565-acre lake under the jurisdiction of the Fish Commission, it became noted for fishing of black crappie, bass and muskie and was heralded as one of the most beautiful lakes in the region.

Shortly after the lake was drained, the Friends of Tamarack Lake was formed by local residents to serve as an advocate for restoring the lake. The Friends of Tamarack Lake have been active every year in picking up garbage such as old tires and bottles from the lake's bottom.

In an e-mail response to West Mead Township Secretary/Treasurer Jill Dunlap, Paul Urbanik, an engineer with the Fish and Boat Commission, stated that he expects the process to be completed and the lake refilled in 2018.

"We were hopeful to get the design completed this month but we had a few delays when dealing with the state regulatory agencies during the permit pre-application period," Urbanik wrote. "The consultants had some design revisions to address and we are awaiting the 95 percent design submission, which is due at the end of February, and the 100 percent submission (which) is due at the end of April. Although we did lose a few months during the design phase, I still believe that having the lake restored in 2018 is fully obtainable."

2015/02/25 18:53:23
H3Fisher
Thanks for the post! Was wondering what was going to happen with this place. I figured it would be gone for good. 
2015/02/25 21:58:33
BeenThereDoneThat.
Had it not been built for flood control, Tamarack would have been but a memory to many of us.  They say there is structural damage to both dams which I find interesting as the lake was drained to repair the one dam prior to, Tamarack being designated Musky brood water.  That went over like a led balloon (lol) as Tamarack was so well known for her pan fish (particularly the 'Bull Gills'). 

Being located in farm country the lake received plenty of nutrients from the surrounding field run off and the weed growth took it's toll.
The only open water was pretty much at both dams with a canal connecting through the thick weed mat.  Several attempts were made at clearing and controlling (short of chemical annihilation) the weeds, to no avail.  Suddenly........... structural damage to one of the dams warranted immediate repairs and...........  the rest is history.

Many...... many memories were made at Tamarack and hopefully many more anglers to come, will begin their journeys on her water. 
2015/02/26 23:56:27
CAPTAIN HOOK
Nice lake just never had much fishing time on it. Hope it comes around again.

2015/02/27 00:53:22
BeenThereDoneThat.
Great pictures Capt..    She was a fun lake, in her infancy, where you could rent one of those old leaky wooden row boats (prior to electric motors) and just spend the day tossing garden worms under bobbers or the good ole cork poppers with a fly rod.  Never overcrowded be you fishing from a boat or wading from shore.  Little by little the weeds became a major problem and rowing became near impossible (push poles worked better) except by each of the dams at either end.  Eventually, the lake was drained and repairs made to the damaged dam.  It was after this the lake was ordained a musky broad lake and needless to say gained some fame among musky fisherman.  Your pictures show the aftermath of the first repair and I must say the restoration done at this time was very impressive.  Prior to the weed growth Tamarack had some real secrets swimming in her water that included gills, crappy, bass and, walleye too.  After the restoration,  musky became the main attraction in both summer and winter fishing.  The better half and I would fish Tamarack from a Coleman square stern scanoe and catch young musky we called "hammer handles" while throwing "pig-and-a-jigs" looking for bass.   My best was a 44" musky taken on a Big-O while trolling and a buddy of mine nailed a 49" a few days later.

It's been quite awhile since I tossed some baits on Tamarack..................  Thanks for the memories.
2015/03/22 13:46:43
muskefisher
Ive fished this lake since i was young, right after it opened. If they refill it they should dreg some of the lake . Water temps in mid to upper 80's in summer not good.
2015/08/31 22:59:40
BeenThereDoneThat.
CAPTAIN HOOK
Nice lake just never had much fishing time on it. Hope it comes around again.
Picture by Capt. Hook

Then and now.....................

Picture by BTDT
Picture by Capt. Hook

Picture by BTDT

Picture by BTDT

Drained in 2012, scheduled to refill 2018, and as of this date no work has begun on repairing the dam.  Ain't bureaucratic red tape wonderful?
2015/09/01 09:07:29
Pachuckles
Great pics and info  BTDT & Cap. 
I fished Tamarack Lake when it first opened.  It was nothing to catch "Bull Gills" on small flies.  I can remember when I would wade and come out of the water and find 10 to 20 small brown leeches on my waders.  Over the years as the number of leeches got smaller the fish got smaller as well.

I only hope that when they refill the lake that it will be a "Pan Fish" lake rather than a "Brood" lake for Muskey.
2015/09/01 10:12:17
fishin coyote
I live 3 miles from the lake and  generally look at life with a glass half full outlook but in the case of Tamarack I don't think they will refill it at any time in the next 20yrs. The lake/dam even in its current condition will still perform the task it was designed for (flood control), maybe even better now that the lake bed is held together by vegetation roots. 
I wish they'd  allow access to the lake bed for hunting season.  At least they have the resources to mow the grass in the parking lots for the sightseers 
Mike
2015/09/01 16:35:57
outasync
http://friendsoftamaracklake.com/PDFs/TamarackLake_ProjectTimeline.pdf the time line for the lake. http://friendsoftamaracklake.com/news.html the updates on where the current status stands. 

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account